Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Journalistic Enemy of GA Stirkes Again

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cub builder View Post
    Yes, the report was full of inaccuracies, but the jist of what was said was true, although IMHO the accidents were a bit sensationalized in order to prove his journalistic point.

On the other hand, while on average, there are 5 aircraft accidents a day in the US, some of which may be fatal, how many fatal car crashes are there nationwide every day? So why isn't that on the NTSBs "Most Wanted" list? Or is it because it then affects everyone rather than a select group?

-Cubbuilder
    Use of the recent accidents in the piece was not just sensational but was also highly irresponsible and biased to illustrate the reporters objective. We know that it's way to early in those investigations to determine causes but despite that fact, the reporter gives the unadulterated impression to the public that they all fell out of the sky because of non-recovery from unusual attitudes.

5 GA accidents a day is just a statistic, the report did not specify causes nor did it want to. Once again, just stated to give the impression that all were caused by non-recovery from unusual attitudes.

Statistically we also know that flying is safer than driving but the non-flying public doesn't know it. Depending on what side of the fence one is on, arguments can and have been made to support or deny the claim. But one thing remains certain IMO, the most dangerous part of flying is driving to and from the airport!
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 03-21-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    or;

f. I don't see a news report as a reason to go off on a half-cocked rant.
    The media has major clout and influence, positively and negatively, always has, always will. Just because you're not as pissed of as I am, doesn't mean you have to be judgemental. We all have our likes and dislikes. That's why there are menus in restaurants.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post

Can it be improved? Not easily. But GA really needs to get it's act together and try. Otherwise, the media will continue to hatchet the industry.
    So you agree it was a hatchet job. I believe that's what I was conveying.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    So you agree it was a hatchet job. I believe that's what I was conveying.
    No, GA makes itself easy fodder for journalist. Can't blame the news people. GA either needs to clean up it's act or accept the fact they are an easy target.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    The media has major clout and influence, positively and negatively, always has, always will. Just because you're not as pissed of as I am, doesn't mean you have to be judgemental. We all have our likes and dislikes. That's why there are menus in restaurants.
    Well, I been watching the news stories on aviation for 40+ yrs now, the negative/positive ratio is about 40:1. Don't think it has influenced any changes because flying has actually become less regulated since I started flying. Perhaps thats why I don't see any reason to get excited. The average viewer has forgotten the story 2 commercials after it's done airing.

More journalistic feces in my opinion. The statement "private pilots need more training" is just a flat out bald faced lie and they need to be called on it.

Banned
    Sorry for the interruption. Need to say Go Harvard, Go Zags(whew, that was too close). Thanks for understanding! Please continue.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    The statement "private pilots need more training" is just a flat out bald faced lie
    explain?

Is there anyone who doesn't need more training?

It is not just aviation...

"The power of the media is willful and dangerous because it dramatically affects Western pollcy while bearing no responsibity for the outcome"
    -- Robert Kaplan, Foreign Correspondent, the Atlantic

So why isn't that on the NTSBs "Most Wanted" list? Or is it because it then affects everyone rather than a select group?
    Because the average passenger car is not under the purview of the NTSB by the nature of the legislation that created the Board.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.