Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win a stearman!

Win a stearman!

Here's an EAA activity that I think will meet with universal member approval! Ok, almost universal, since it seems there is always a few folks who if you said, "have a nice day", they'd say, "not if I can help it".

EAA has raffled off planes for years, but many of them have not been anything really extraordinary.

This latest one is; it is a Stearman. I might keep it in Texas or Wisconsin or Florida or somewhere warmer with some grass runways. I would NOT sell it and I hope if anyone else is the lucky one that they keep it and fly it also.

Winning that would make up for my not winning that beautiful Waco that AOPA did a few years ago.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-02-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Is it bad my first thought was "First they get rid of Rod and now they raffle off his plane!"?

I might keep it in Texas or Wisconsin or Florida or somewhere warmer with some grass runways. I would NOT sell it and I hope if anyone else is the lucky one that they keep it and fly it also.
    It's one of the few raffle planes that I have seen that I would not sell. If someone else wins it, I hope they don't sell it AND give me a ride!
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    We're all pretty excited to see it, and some of us, of course, are hoping for a chance to fly it, but we'll see...

It's being done by Air Repair in Mississippi, and should be gorgeous when it's finished. If you hadn't seen the specs, you can find them here:

http://www.eaa.org/sweepstakes/

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Here's an EAA activity that I think will meet with universal member approval! Ok, almost universal, since it seems there is always a few folks who if you said, "have a nice day", they'd say, "not if I can help it".

EAA has raffled off planes for years, but many of them have not been anything really extraordinary.

This latest one is; it is a Stearman. I might keep it in Texas or Wisconsin or Florida or somewhere warmer with some grass runways. I would NOT sell it and I hope if anyone else is the lucky one that they keep it and fly it also.

Winning that would make up for my not winning that beautiful Waco that AOPA did a few years ago.
    Agree 100%! That would be a dream plane. Pure joy.

On the sweeps page, can anyone clarify this?

Just for being a valued EAA member, you have a select number of entries automatically in the 2013 EAA Sweepstakes based on your membership level.*

But don't stop there! You can submit up to 500 entries to improve your odds of flying home in a fully restored Stearman Model 75!

Mail up to 20 completed entry forms in a separate, full postage paid envelope to:
    So....I can mail that form 500 times, in packages of 20?? That takes commitment... ....but I might just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post

If I won it I'd keep it right here in Fairbanks!

That's a helluva prize. I'm sure the winner will have a huge smile on their face.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Even the second prize has a tail wheel

The 2nd prize is some kind of almost motorcycle that has 3 wheels. Not really the image of king of the road ,but they may have gotten it donated by a sponsor.
    Somebody must like those things if they go to the trouble to make them.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.

With a 300hp Jake it should be a good performer. Seems like 300hp in this type of airplane is just right. I fly a N3N with a 300 Lyc and it performs a whole lot better than the stock N I used to fly on the same fuel burn. By the way Bill you flew the stock N with me back in the late 80's at the Salt Lake City warbird show. Don