Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flying: The 9/11 Effect

On September 10, 2001, after work, I went from Oshkosh to Shawano in my club's 172 for the proverbial "$100 hamburger" with a couple buddies from work. I remember the evening flight back as one that was particularly smooth, and we were all quiet, soaking in the wonder of being able to partake in this wonderful activity called recreation flight. The next morning as I worked in the call center that is my job, we started to get an inkling of the days events after a few interesting calls from customers in Manhattan. At lunch, it was hard to believe what my eyes were seeing on the news. Over the next few days, as it became apparent that life had changed for us pilots forever, I realized, how far we are willing to go for a little perceived security. I also have felt that something fundemental has changed in our society, and it is not for the better. Still, I am not one to lay down and give up. Freedom isn't free. We must fight to keep our freedoms, and get them back in some cases. (unnecessary and costly TFR"s for instance, an overbearing TSA for another) I don't want to be the one to have let the terrorists win. We need to remove obstacles to flight, not put more in the way of it.
    plans building a Sonex!!

As an airline pilot flying the B-777 at the time, my flying changed drastically. The incident eliminated anymore successful hijackings. Previously the hijackers could threaten to kill someone in order to take control of the aircraft and the pilots would take them where they wanted to go. After 9/11 they could never get the pilots to give them control because the pilot knew that everyone on board was going to die as well as the people in the target area.
    The TSA is only useful to try to prevent bombs on board. The TSA only needs to verify the pilots not the passengers. Weapons on board are useless because the pilots cannot be successfully threatened to give up the cockpit. Their is no point in changing any rules about general aviation because only the very large aircraft can do the damage that the terrorists desire.

I live and fly in northern Vermont close to the Canadian border.

Before 9/11 I would often fly into Canada for some sightseeing and then back to the U.S. (No landing as that would require customs inspections)

Now the border crossing requires a process know as eAPIS (Electronic Advance Passenger Information System)

Took the fun out of those spontaneous flights in and out of Canada that we used to do.
    Bill Morelli - A&P - IA
    www.upnorthaviation.com