Thread: Build Chooses

Build Chooses

Not trying to get anyone to make a discussion for me just after advice on if I have any more choices

I'm trying to decide on a plans build

I'm in Australia (not that is relevant)

I'm limited to

1/Limited funds SO I would need to buy materials as I could afford them (so a kit is out of the question)
    2/Plans would preferably be in Metric
    3/Two seater Cannot see the point in a build just for myself to enjoy)
    4/Preferably transportable (removable, Folding wings) (cannot see the point of forking out hanger Parking fees when I live so close to local airfield)
    5/Most important Must fall into the Australian Ultralight category
    6/Prefer not to be Tail dragger (its another endorsement here)
    Looked at the Mini max (Hi max) seems reasonable but single seater, Plans free, plans imperial was trying to convert to metric it was a bit of a task then found
    Cherry BX-2 Nice -Plans are a bit expensive (compared to others and Im told in German??) everything else seems ok
    Then today I came across
    Zenith Zodiac series really nice, Ticks all the boxes except the transportable issue (even tho the 701/750 have removable wing it take around an hour to remove)

What others choices do I have

or am I asking to much

Sounds like a RV-12 may meet all your requirements. I wouldn't rule out the fact that it is a kit. You can break the build into five subprojects, which spreads the cost out depending on how fast you want to complete the build. The disadvantage are the shipping fees to Australia, but there are folks that have got quite creative at ways in reducing the freight cost.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Nesmith Cougar, all the features.... The build time listed seems too long for what it is. 2000hrs if I recall, just cannot be right. http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft5/2.htm Plans from Spruce. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/nesmith.php I have seen photos of it built with tri gear.

I'm in Oz too and building an RV-12. The choice will mostly depend on your budget and how much time you want to put into the project. To build an RV-12 as suggested, assuming our dollar stays where it is, will cost you about $85k unpainted. There are currently a couple of completed and painted ones for sale at $75! A plans built Zodiac with a Jab 2.2 would probably be closer to $60-65k, but that's a guess.
    rgmwa