Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warbird paint scheme for a Taylor Monoplane?

Warbird paint scheme for a Taylor Monoplane?

I just bought a set of plans for John Taylor's classic Taylor Monoplane from his son Terry. The Mono looks very much like a little fighter, especially with an enclosed canopy, so now I am daydreaming about building one and painting it up in warbird colors. Does anyone have any suggestions of interesting schemes, even specific individual aircraft that I might want to replicate? Here's a pic of the original Mono, John Taylor's own G-APRT, for inspiration.

Name:  APRT.jpg
Views: 5106
Size:  91.5 KB

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

It sure looks like a little Spitfire to me. I know some folks just hate it when homebuilts carry warbird markings, but it's your airplane - paint it however you want and the critics be damned! Here's a few Spitfires that carried American markings (as an example of what you could do):

Name:  Spitfire 1.jpg
Views: 9656
Size:  93.0 KBName:  Spitfire 2.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  35.6 KBName:  Spitfire 3.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  44.6 KB

Also found this Taylor Monoplane painted in Spitfire markings. Pretty sharp little airplane!

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac...cl/VH-CKC.html

Thanks, Zack. I am usually a Hawker Hurricane fan, and have considered reworking the turtledeck, canopy and rudder shape to simulate a Hurri, but that's probably making things too complicated. The Taylor actually reminds me of a Yak in profile, so a WWII Soviet scheme might be fun, maybe something like this one but with a patriotic slogan in Cyrillic down the fuselage.

Name:  g-bbbb.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  31.7 KB
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

The tail is very "Yakish" for sure. It is also very similar to a Curtiss P-40 tail. Sure is a neat little airplane!

For a variation on the "Blue and Yellow" scheme seen on a lot of faux warbirds, consider this Fly Baby variation of one used on the Westland Wizard, a fighter prototype from the 1930s.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/MSFS/westland.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Neat, Ron, thanks. I was kicking around some RAF schemes, but nothing really spoke to me. On the Yak idea, my wife is French, so maybe a Normandie-Niemen squadron fighter with the French tricolor on the spinner and tail?

Name:  pic_yak-3_nn_27b.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  28.8 KB Name:  7340294414_8e555c7d0e_z.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  72.4 KB

If I can find one like that in winter white camouflage, that might be a good solution.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    It should be painted like Walter Mitty's plane.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Some samples. From top to bottom, the Westland Wizard-inspired RAF scheme, the French Soviet scheme, and one inspired by the immediate predecessor to the Zero, the "Claude".
    Name:  taylor.jpg
Views: 2715
Size:  61.6 KB
    This has an emphasis on the non-wartime military schemes. I love camouflage paint jobs, except when I'm in the air trying to spot one....

Ron Wanttaja

The Taylor Monoplane is very very reminiscent of the YAK fighters. So Russian camo and markings would create a sorta-/kinda sub-scale warbird replica, or "stand-off scale" as us model builders call it. BUT... several YAK-11 aircraft have been highly modified for air racing, so another interesting option might be a race-inspired scheme?
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com