Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NTSB issues 5 New Safety Alerts for GA Pilots & Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    why are many A&Ps are reticent to sign off on homebuilts? 'cause they're poopheads? 'cause they're uneducated?
    CFR 14 pt 65.81 General privileges and limitations.(a) A certificated mechanic may perform or supervise ... However, he may not ... approve and return to service, any aircraft or appliance, or part thereof, for which he is rated unless he has satisfactorily performed the work concerned at an earlier date.

when a potential customer presents a one-off (and all E-AB aircraft are one-off) aircraft, with a non-certificated engine and prop combination, including non-certificated and/or non-traceable parts in critical places, with amateur or no engineering data and no FAA-reviewed maintenance manual, the certificated mechanic should say - what? "heck, yeah, git'er dun"?????

there are safe ways through the maze but for many folks with a career invested in gaining a certificate and a wife and kids to feed, the easiest answer is "i'm not allowed to do that."

Performing an amateur built condition inspection is one of the least risky task a mechanic can do while utilizing his A&P credentials. No certifying statement involved.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    No certifying statement involved.
    well, maybe i'm wrong, i only checked one reference book.

FAA Order 8130.2G, page 4-79, item 4104 b (23) Condition inspections must be recorded in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records showing the following, or a similarly worded, statement: “I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.” The entry will include the aircraft’s total time-in-service (cycles if appropriate), and the name, signature, certificate number, and type of certificate held by the person performing the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    well, maybe i'm wrong, i only checked one reference book.

FAA Order 8130.2G, page 4-79, item 4104 b (23) Condition inspections must be recorded in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records showing the following, or a similarly worded, statement: “I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.” The entry will include the aircraft’s total time-in-service (cycles if appropriate), and the name, signature, certificate number, and type of certificate held by the person performing the inspection.
    Yep, the appropriately rated person has to certify that he actually inspected the machine, IAW the guidance specified. But it only has to be in condition for safe operation, no certifying statement of airworthiness. HUGE difference.