Thread: Grumman F3F-2 restoration and first flight

Grumman F3F-2 restoration and first flight

Although I read about this last month, I neglected to post about it until now. I was reminded about it today when reading about the troubles that Sonoma County Airport has been having recently with a neighbor and his fence. In any case, this Grumman F3F-2 is a beautiful restoration done by Chris Prevost, who flies out of Sonoma County Airport. He made the first flight back in mid-September. Here's a video of the flight:

Thanks Zach. It's beyond me why anyone would hide the beautiful sound of the radial firing up and running by putting music to it, though

Now that's a testosterone laden Warbird from the golden age of real airplanes. I would love to see some of the Curtiss Hawk biplanes from the same era.

Music over the entire thing...

I agree, it is almost criminal to cover the sound of a warbird with music. Warbirds make their own music! Is this an actual restoration or a replica? I remember a full size replica at Oshkosh a few years ago. I built a model of one of these a while ago and in my research it said that these had rate of climb comparable to a P-51.

Thanks Zach, beautiful footage.

Chris
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...

Nothing beat those "golden era" warbirds ,a time long gone now, but at least people can enjoy seeing what one warbird from that time looked and better yet sounded like in it's true element of "flight' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!