Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Landings

Frank, could you explain what you mean by a "bounce", just for all the rest of us who always make perfect landings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Frank, could you explain what you mean by a "bounce", just for all the rest of us who always make perfect landings.
    LOL!!
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Much like a practice swing in golf, a "bounce" is a practice landing.

It's a little known technique used by only the most proficient pilots to gauge not only the glide angle and speed of the aircraft, but to determine the firmness of the landing surface (pavement in particular is subject to an inconsistency of hardness and makes the best for practice landings).

One can perform a bounce in a number of ways, but the usual technique is to perform a normal approach and flare to stall six to fourteen inches higher than normal. A perfect bounce in three point configuration can then be achieved, with all three wheels tapping the pavement simulataneously and letting the pilot know it is firm enough to land without lateral instability. The greater the glide slope and the higher the flare the more aggressive the bounce; with practice the knowing pilot can verify the pavement is of a thickness exceeding 24 inches.

Once the bounce is achieved, slight throttle is applied to ensure proper landing airspeed and airflow over control surfaces is correct and the landing can be accomplished normally - either three point or in a wheel landing, as is the subject of this thread.

Bouncing while in a slip or from the main wheels is not recommended unless the pilot has been trained in ultra low level acrobatics from a certified instructor.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

LOL! Great to have someone give official recognition of the most used, but seldom talked about, tailwheel landing technique! Thank you, Sir.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Thanks, Frank.
    I had heard of the word, "bounce" , but having been trained my a Navy pilot, and we know they are the best, I had never experienced one myself.

I thought it was some sheets of paper that you put in the dryer to make the clothes come out softer.

Perhaps putting a couple of these sheets on the bottom of the wheels of that Champ might soften the impact of touchdown.

Some old fashioned pilots, not up on the latest Tappatalk and Nextgen technology, continue to insist the approaching at the correct airspeed, not plus 10 knots, can be a positive factor in landing. But that may be out moded, even for the Navy. After all aren't they building modern carriers longer these days?

I find wheel landings easy and straight forward. I was trained to not use increased speeds-on approach or at touch down. I don't carry any extra power either. I've landed all of my taildraggers both ways and haven't noticed any difference in handling characteristics. It sure is a whole lot easier to see when landing my Junior Ace with the tail up a bit though.

Oh, Bill, it's always a shame to have to enlighten those of the squid persuation, but Navy pilots do in fact perform bounces - and no matter how hard they attempt to explain vertical motion after touching down as ocean caused it runs very flat indeed when witnessed at Pensacola NAS.

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thanks, Frank.
    I had heard of the word, "bounce" , but having been trained my a Navy pilot, and we know they are the best, I had never experienced one myself.
    I thought any time you miss the three wire it was a "Bounce".

Plus the Navy doesn't three point any more, having moved the tailwheel to the wrong end of the aircraft; they have no need to learn practice landings.

Rob Gillman just phoned me today and we talked about him flying the B-17, and I was correct. He always made 3 point landings in the 17, just as the old Army Air Corp training film shows. He had 600 hours in DC -3s and made wheel landings in them as well as twin Beech D-18 and says the Canadians make wheel landings in the Lancaster.
    He makes 3 point in the Hurricane, but says it can run out of control if it is windy.
    Bill- Agree with the above, my dad flew Wellingtons, Lancasters, and finally Dakotas in the RAF. He says they wheel landed all of them, although the Lanc would do a nice 3-pointer. He has little good to say about the Wellington, by the way, not trimmable and constantly in motion with the geodesic construction. The Lanc could be trimmed out and left alone almost indefinitely.