Thread: Flying Lessons at KFRG (Republic Airport/Farmingdale, NY)

Flying Lessons at KFRG (Republic Airport/Farmingdale, NY)

Does anyone have any recommendations/critiques/reviews for flying schools or CFIs based at KFRG? I am looking to start PPL lessons. Web offers no help or guidance. Thanks.

Hi FlyingYonder,

I'm currently training at KRFG. There are two schools there: Nassau Flyers and Academy of Aviation. I'm working with Nassau Flyers. In my opinion, it comes down to the instructor, you need to work with someone who makes you feel comfortable. Cost appears to be about the same between the two schools. My instructor is Dave Gardinier with whom I've now had four lessons. I work well with Dave.

Last night I did my first night flight (see my thread in this forum '90% done, 10% to go'). I'm actually finishing up my training (This spring I was down in Florida where I got most of my hours) and expect to complete sometime in June. I highly recommend trying to take a block of time and train intensively. I'm really glad I did that because it can be frustrating doing one lesson at a time.

One important question is whether you need formal ground school (Part 141) or will do your studying on your own (Part 61). A of A offers both, I"m not sure if Nassau does. I went the Part 61 route using a combination different sources (Sporty's course, the Jeppesen book and the FAA AIM).

Keep us posted, I'd be interested in what you learn.

I trained extensively with and earned my private certificate with Long Island Aviators http://www.longislandaviators.com/ they have a team of experienced instructors and airplanes ranging from Cessna 152/172 and a Grumman Cougar Multi engine and some of the best pricing on the east coast.

I've also flown with Affordable Aircraft and Flight Instruction http://www.flyafi.net/ in their Mooney M20E. They also have Piper aircraft and a multi-engine. Also great instructors and prices.

Hope this helps.