Thread: Elegant solutions for dual, outboard throttles?

Elegant solutions for dual, outboard throttles?

I have spent some time flying European microlights with side-by-side seating, a single center stick and dual outboard throttles at the left and right sides of the panel and like the arrangement, but I have to say that I never looked behind the panel to figure out the mechanics. I do remember that the Skyranger had curved levers which came up under the panel and ended in...golf balls.

Name:  1188506M.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  80.4 KB

Can anyone explain how that's done or suggest any other elegant solutions for dual outboard throttles?
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 03-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

One possibility:
    Name:  throttle.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  58.1 KB
    Moving the handles turns the torque tube, which shoves the throttle cable back and forth.

This is just a quick sketch showing the layout...in reality, the tubing would be of smaller (relative) diameter, and the handles would be more-horizontal below the bar.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 03-10-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks, Ron. After a little more digging I found the UK Skyranger builder's manual available online. The actual solution used in that design is quite similar to your sketch except that the throttle cables are actuated directly by the pilot side handle. The torque tube serves only to transmit the motion from the passenger/instructor side to the pilot side.

Name:  skyranger throttle 1.jpg
Views: 2258
Size:  38.8 KB Name:  skyranger throttle 2.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  27.2 KB

Originally I had in mind some sort of push-pull cable arrangement between left and right, I still wonder if that might work but I suspect it would be far less robust than the torque tube solution. I imagine that there are other torque tube arrangements which could work depending on the distance to the panel, for example, long quadrant levers projecting through slots in the panel rather then the curved levers coming up from underneath.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Looking at that original picture of the configuration gives me the thought of how weird it would be to fish a golf ball out of someone's skull following a crash.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Creepy thought. Are you suggesting that there are safety concerns with this set-up vs. more conventional push-pull controls or side- or center-mounted quadrants?

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Looking at that original picture of the configuration gives me the thought of how weird it would be to fish a golf ball out of someone's skull following a crash.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

The Emeraude has homemade dual throttles on the plans.

Unfortunately they are blueprints instead of fancy CAD drawings.

Youtube has several videos showing the Emeraude. One short (2:30) clip does have some good views of the throttle(s) in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzO-V8Tv73c

Just search for "Emeraude airplane" and you'll find them all. The CAP-10B has a similar throttle lashup.

You can see & hear the continuous use of the throttle in this French Connection airshow video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMRrjs0HJ44

Thanks, Clark. The usual solution does seem to be some sort of a torsion tube running behind the panel connecting left and right throttles: the Piel configuration uses separate quadrants as opposed to the Sky Ranger in which the levers connect directly to the tube. Thanks very much for taking the time to post the images, it gives me some good ideas on how to gin up my own. Cheers, Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info