Thread: Waiex builder artical in latest Sport Aviation

Question Waiex builder artical in latest Sport Aviation

Anybody besides me notice that the guy who built the Waiex appears to be flying as a sport pilot on the drivers license medical provision after being denied a medical for atrial fib?
    David Reinhart
    ASN Volunteer/KFIT

Yes. I noticed that too. I'm hoping that there is a part of the story that Sport Aviation omitted on how he got a special issuance or a regular issuance that he let lapse so that he could fly as a sport pilot after that. If not, Sport Aviation shouldn't have published the story as it did a real disservice to the pilot in question and could jeopardize his future as a pilot with the FAA to fly as a sport pilot if they ever see this article.
    Bill

there was an article about an experimental amateur built aircraft in S.A. ??? when? what issue? page? will this be a new feature? wow! they are getting more like AOPA Pilot mag all the time. oh, found it. it is not really an article, just a members building blurb.

reminds me of an article a few years back about a guy who dissassembled a seabee, reassembled it with a corvette conversion engine, and called it a homebuilt. which of course is illegal. turned out there was more to that story, too.
    Last edited by Mike M; 03-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Could have just been an instance where the Doc said "I won't be able to reissue your medical, so don't even try". Note that the article never said he failed his medical. You can fly Sport Pilot if you just let your current medical expire without being actually denied a new one.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Maybe he had an office visit with the AME prior to going for his medical and found out he would not pass if he tried. If so, he wasn't denied.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Hi,

Via Mr. Google, I found two, AOPA articles about atrial fibrillation and read the FAA documents. My understanding:
    • Wait 3 months after the event - from the FAA directions
    • Can not be any other heart risk factors - means a through examination showing no other heart disease
    • Requires a 24-hour Holter collection - the FAA has guidelines for passing including maximum heart rate and longest 'pause'

The reason I know is two weeks ago I went to the ER after midnight due to an allergic reaction. They put in an IV and hooked me up to the machine that goes 'ping'. After diagnosis, the treatment was: a steroid shot in the butt; benadryl in the IV, and; pepcid in the IV. I was watching the pepcid go in and I said,"That sure tastes nasty" and my vision became "TV screen full of static." I next remember being flat on my back looking up at five faces and someone calling my name. My heart stopped for six seconds, beat once, stopped again for six seconds, and resumed beating. At 3:00 AM, it seemed to wake everyone up.

Other than being 63 years old, I had no other indications. Six weeks earlier I passed physical by the family doctor and two years earlier I passed a heart stress test without a problem . . . and bought N19WT. So now I have an interesting medical problem, a challenge.

My reading suggests atrial fibrillation comes in many degrees. In my case, no symptoms so we don't know how long I might have had it. Assuming the six week earlier physical was good, less than six weeks. However, I also had a drug allergy reaction going on; fatter than I should be; potentially pre-diabetic, and; not enough exercise. Any or all of these might have contributed to this incident. According to the FAA guidelines, five-years symptom free and the waiver is no longer needed.

It turns out via eBay I can get a personal, recording Holter meter:
    • 1-channel - for a spot check, hold against the chest (~$300)
    • 3-channel (5 lead) - 24hr record, good enough for afib detection and other heart problems (~$700)
    • 12-channel (10 lead) - 24hr record, handles more subtle heart issues including front-and-back identification (~$900)

Normally an EKG tech or cardiologists would handle the technical details and for the FAA that would be the case. But since I'm down for the next two and half months, I want to find out if afib is coming and going. If it is, I'm selling the plane. If not, I'm going for the waiver.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 3-channel unit. The hospital did an extensive workup before 'shocking' my heart back into regular beats. At home I have a stethoscope and in the hospital heard my heart beat under afib and normal so I have spot check covered. But I can't walk around with a stethoscope all day and I do like to sleep. <grins>

I'm sure the FAA 24-hour record has to be using established practices and I'm good with that. So I'll get the 3-channel unit and start self-monitoring.

Bob Wilson

Holy crap Mr Wilson!

I hope it was an isolated incedent, and you're going to be ok.