Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting my flight training tomorrow!

Thanks for the encouragement! The flight could not have been better. Gorgeous day with light winds. Flying out of Centennial, Colorado from KAPA. Snow on the mountains and smooth air. Learning to drive with your feet on taxi with the free catering nose wheel takes some getting used to. At least I had some experience with differential braking for the Oliver tractors on my grandfather's farm years ago. Got to do the take-off (what a rush!), fly out to the practice area and practice turns, ascents, and descents. Bill I can totally see how the globose loves to float down the runway on landing! Such an amazing feeling finally doing something you have dreamed for so many years! My instructor was great as well. Needless to say I am hooked! Hoping to get at least two more lessons in this coming week. thanks again for the kind words of encouragement.

And it gets better!

I'm a new pilot myself, so a few words of advice to make things more enjoyable:

Be prepared! Know what's going to be covered in the next lesson and review it in the books the night before the lesson.

Don't get ahead of yourself - don't get wrapped up worrying about things you won't be working on two weeks from now.

Know that there will be one thing that will give you a big challenge and frustrate you. It's different for everyone! For me it was crosswinds....for others it's short field landings or cross country or something else. When you hit that problem area, keep plugging along, as you'll get it!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Know that there will be one thing that will give you a big challenge and frustrate you. It's different for everyone! For me it was crosswinds....for others it's short field landings or cross country or something else. When you hit that problem area, keep plugging along, as you'll get it!
    Expect to plateau periodically. A lesson won't go well or you'll have trouble mastering some task. Don't worry, this is normal! Just remember your overall progress will still be forward, even if one thing doesn't progress (or even regresses!) on a particular day.

Jim
    CFI since 1989
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

My friend Bruce Lonicker was just here last night and I asked him about the Gobosh. He started with the same people that you are and same planes. He began when they were at Erie and finshed his rating when they moved to Centenial. He lives near Jeffco, now Metro but didn't get any break on location, went from a long way north of him to a long ways south, but he persisted and finished.

The one you are flying is probably the same plane I flew.

Bruce didn't recall any bad habits of the plane, he seemed to think final approach should be about 52 knots as I had guessed.

You have some disadvantgage in learning in such a big airport with a tower and so much trafficc. Big runways like that often make for sloppy pilots on landing, but on the other hand you will be used to the radio and Class B etc, traffic.

One BIG WARNING, strong wake turbulence can be deadly to a small airplane and there is a lot of it at APA.

Good luck
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-03-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Have a great time!

Lucky!!! Just kidding! Can't wait to start mine.
    Just one obstacle... What's that stuff called... Oh yeah ...MONEY!!!
    "Aviation Junkie"!
    A&P Mechanic

Any updates?

David

Learn, learn, learn, best of luck to you!
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Have fun and enjoy. If you fly because you really like it you will always love flying unlike those who only want fast transportation and think they can make a lot of money. Have seen many of the latter fall by the wayside over the years. Still loving it after 30 years.

Lyn
    KLXN
    BC12D

Gday Fellas,first of all have a bit of fun and try different types while learning,I learned on the AA1b Grumman but interspersed those hours with hours on the Decathlon 8kcab,it widens the experience and lets you learn faster.A bit of a warning though, once you go taildragger you will never go back.Cheers Ross