Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accelerated sport pilot flight training recomenditions

Accelerated sport pilot flight training recomenditions

Hi all,

After googling sport pilot flight school and seeing the overwhelming results, I came to the forum instead. I searched here and found positive recomenditions to Lockwood, Stewarts aircraft, and Blue Ridge sport flight.
    Myself and fellow mechanics live in Alaska and can travel but would prefer to go to a flight school with a accelerated program as good as the above mentioned schools, just a little closer to home. If Lockwoods or Stewarts are your recomenditions then so be it but ugh that's a long ride. Jobs, and family are the reason we need to accomplish the training in a accelerated format. We have completed 1 of 3 scratch built CH-701s and expect the next one to be completed in late spring. We have started the book work and plan to be ready for the written before flight training.
    Good flying weather (April/may), great instruction, accelerated training are what we want most and if it's a little closer to Alaska thats a bonus. Based on what I've read I'm hoping for a two week program.
    A good recomendition of a flight school is more important than a flashy web page to me and would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by polar View Post
    Hi all,

After googling sport pilot flight school and seeing the overwhelming results, I came to the forum instead. I searched here and found positive recomenditions to Lockwood, Stewarts aircraft, and Blue Ridge sport flight.
    Myself and fellow mechanics live in Alaska and can travel but would prefer to go to a flight school with a accelerated program as good as the above mentioned schools, just a little closer to home. If Lockwoods or Stewarts are your recomenditions then so be it but ugh that's a long ride. Jobs, and family are the reason we need to accomplish the training in a accelerated format. We have completed 1 of 3 scratch built CH-701s and expect the next one to be completed in late spring. We have started the book work and plan to be ready for the written before flight training.
    Good flying weather (April/may), great instruction, accelerated training are what we want most and if it's a little closer to Alaska thats a bonus. Based on what I've read I'm hoping for a two week program.
    A good recomendition of a flight school is more important than a flashy web page to me and would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Dave
    Go to Florida and go to a Part 141 flight school. The up front costs are higher but in the long run it is much cheaper and alot quicker. Part 91 flight schools are slow and drag out terribly.I could go on and on about why I won't go to a part 91 flight school.

Part 141 does not provide for Sport Pilot training, only recreational pilot and above.

I went to Flightsafety in Vero Beach for my instrument rating.
    I chose it partly because it was advertised to use simulators and also that they trained airline pilots. I was too easily impressed.
    The airline pilots were mostly because they were the low bidder for Saudi Arabia. Young Saudies would come with no training and 6 months later they were legal to be a first officer in their country. I don't think the ones I saw were very good.
    F S had Frasca simulators, but would not let us basic students use them.
    All in all, I think the training was not up to the high prices they charged.
    i have heard that the jet sim training in Witchita is good, but again expenisve.

I would look for a school that gives you a guarantee for a set price, like a few will, and not an open ended drain on your accounts.

Also, you might as well go somewhere that is nice to visit since you won't be flying every minute, and good weather will give you more chances to fly.

No matter where you go, the important thing is to go and do it.

Good luck, Bill

Lockwood, in Sebring was great! They have a special deal with Four Points hotel which is right on the track created by taking part of the runways from the original airbase. They were very professional and thorough. Everyone there is completely committed to you being a safe and successful pilot. The workload is heavy; but, no pilot is going to complain about flying 3-5 hours a day. I do recommend having your ground school done before hand. I can't say enough about what a wonderful program they have.

Thanks Chick for the reply. I was afraid of that. I sure wanted someone to give some glowing review of a accelerated sport pilot school a litter closer to home. the jet lag is going to kill me.

Dave

You might consider Snohomish Flying Service in the Seattle area. If this is a contender get back to me before commiting. www.snohomishflying.com/ I am not sure of the status of their Light Sport. Realize that all training need not be in a Light Sport. The light sport is only required for the check ride familarity and the final event. Weather in April/May may be an issue. I may have another option in the general area.

Rainbow Aviation in Corning, California offers flight training in LSA. There are between Redding and Chico.

http://www.rainbowaviation.com/

Thanks a lot for the help guys. After calling around and speaking with several flight schools I went with Lockwood, there program sounds well thought out and there equipment is running the rotax engine which is a bonus because that is the power plant I'm running in the 701. I'm not looking forward to that loooooong plane ride

Polar

I hope you have a great time. Tell Romke and Jeff I said "Hi!".