Thread: New Website Regstration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Website Regstration

It is good that vintage has a new website. But why is registering like figuring out Rubic's cube?

I recieved the e-mail inviting me to register, and that e-mail included the "secret code" necessary. Outstanding. But why did I need to provide my VAA number? Since VAA has my e-mail addresss, couldn't we use that in the process to confirm membership? Amazon and EBay do...

But the site required me to provide my VAA number. So I looked at the mailing label on the issue of Vintage Aviation which arrived today. Presumably my member number is one of the half dozen likely looking numbers on the mailing label, but which one? It certainly isn't clearly identified.

I picked one of the six and submitted the application. No telling if it was the right one, and the website said "It'll take up to 48 hours for approval".

C'mon guys, this doesn't have to be so hard. Make things easy for your customers/members. Heck, if you're gonna ask for my VAA number, why not at least clearly identify it on the mailing label for the magazine. It ain't like my VAA number (or the card) is something I keep up with.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 03-04-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Thank you for your feedback

Thank you for your feedback on the new EAA Vintage Aircraft Association website and Members Only section. Before we launched the site, we wanted to guarantee as much as possible that our Members Only section would be just that - for our members only. Because of that desire, we patterned the EAA Vintage member site after this forum. Just like this forum has been for some time, registrations are NOT approved automatically, but confirmed by a moderator. Yes, to become a registered member of this forum I had to provide my EAA number (and had to call Member Services since I carry my Vintage card but not my EAA card) before I could complete the registration process for this forum.

To hold our costs down the EAA Vintage site is being monitored and managed by Vintage Volunteers. As a result, we indicate "... up to 48 hours" for activating a new one-time registration request. Not all of our volunteers are at their computers 24/7. However, since we announced the site last Thursday, the average new registration is being activated within minutes in most cases and usually within no more than a few hours.

No doubt automatic member verification, both for these forums and for the EAA Vintage site, is a good idea in the future, but not a high immediate priority. Because of the many hours of additional coding, security testing, and potential for glitches with automatic member lookup, the Vintage Board and Web Committee made the conscious decision to deliver the site to the members in the shortest possible time. Your concern is on our wish list and will no doubt happen in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    It is good that vintage has a new website. But why is registering like figuring out Rubic's cube?

I recieved the e-mail inviting me to register, and that e-mail included the "secret code" necessary. Outstanding. But why did I need to provide my VAA number? Since VAA has my e-mail addresss, couldn't we use that in the process to confirm membership? Amazon and EBay do...

But the site required me to provide my VAA number. So I looked at the mailing label on the issue of Vintage Aviation which arrived today. Presumably my member number is one of the half dozen likely looking numbers on the mailing label, but which one? It certainly isn't clearly identified.

Thanks again for sharing your positive comments and your concern.

I picked one of the six and submitted the application. No telling if it was the right one, and the website said "It'll take up to 48 hours for approval".

C'mon guys, this doesn't have to be so hard. Make things easy for your customers/members. Heck, if you're gonna ask for my VAA number, why not at least clearly identify it out on the mailing label for the magazine. It ain't like my VAA number (or the card) is something I keep up with.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage_Computer_Ops View Post
    Just like this forum has been for some time, registrations are NOT approved automatically, but confirmed by a moderator. Yes, to become a registered member of this forum I had to provide my EAA number (and had to call Member Services since I carry my Vintage card but not my EAA card) before I could complete the registration process for this forum.
    A quick point of clarification: while it's true that I manually approve / reject every new registrant, EAA membership is not required to participate in the forums. If you are a member and sign up, my job is a lot easier if you include your member number when you register, but, while we ask for it, it isn't a requirement.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Thanks for the clarification, Hal. Yes, then that is a difference between this forum and the EAA Vintage Members Only web pages. EAA Vintage made the decision that materials on those pages would be reserved for Vintage members only. So our process of manual activation is the same other than on the EAA Vintage member section a member number is required and membership is optional here.

And thanks for activating my registration so quickly today

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    A quick point of clarification: while it's true that I manually approve / reject every new registrant, EAA membership is not required to participate in the forums. If you are a member and sign up, my job is a lot easier if you include your member number when you register, but, while we ask for it, it isn't a requirement.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage_Computer_Ops View Post
    And thanks for activating my registration so quickly today
    My pleasure!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Mr. Computer Ops, how about answering the OP's question about exactly where we find our Vintage membership number. He says there is a bunch of numbers on the magazine's mailing label.

As a member and volunteer, I never really looked at the mailing label that closely before. But looking at my March/April issue of Vintage Airplane, my VAA number is the first set of digits directly above my name followed by a forward slash. Since member numbers are sequential, it could be from 1 to 5 digits. Some other coding after that (not my EAA number) followed by my expiration date. I assume this pattern is the same for everyone.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Mr. Computer Ops, how about answering the OP's question about exactly where we find our Vintage membership number. He says there is a bunch of numbers on the magazine's mailing label.

thanks

Bringing back an old thread. I'm trying to recover my password on the eaavintage.org member page. Is that also done manually? I've sent the request and it says a new password is sent but I am not receiving it!

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem