Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Changes

"Is this a vacation or an ordeal?"

Its AirVenture, closely related to the word "adventure," which was defined by G.K. Chesterton (and the Boy Scout Field Book) as discomfort properly perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    Who was the "rocket scientist" who came up with the idea of prohibiting vendors from giving away free water?
    I guess some vendors don't know about that rule, or violate it blatantly. I've never had a problem finding a cool drink when I needed one.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba72 View Post
    I guess some vendors don't know about that rule, or violate it blatantly. I've never had a problem finding a cool drink when I needed one.
    It's no problem if you know the secret handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    "Is this a vacation or an ordeal?"

Its AirVenture, closely related to the word "adventure," which was defined by G.K. Chesterton (and the Boy Scout Field Book) as discomfort properly perceived.
    Especially when you need a port-a-potty.

You could always volunteer. Operation Thirst (and the Vintage thirst patrol for vintage volunteers) keeps us pretty well hydrated and snacked (though it isn't the same since they stopped smooshing a jolly rancher candy into the middle of the bread on the mystery meat sandwiches).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You could always volunteer.
    Absolutely! For more info on volunteer opportunities during AirVenture, just click the link!

http://www.airventure.org/volunteers/

I was the original poster. While I applauded the $2 water, it wasn't that I can't drink anything else, but the fact that EAA LISTENED to all the gripes over the past few years about folks being raped over the higher-priced stuff. ThankYou again, EAA, just for appearing to be with us.

I volunteer. As Ron and Zach mentioned, they take REAL good care of the volunteers, at least whenever I volunteer they do. I have no problem using the buffaloes or the existing fountains, but sometimes I WANT/NEED NOW a COLD bottle of water. As Lindberg stated, if you *know* where to go (wink wink), there were still ways to find that cold one, all for the price of a small donation. I usually donated MORE, just cause I appreciated the vendor's rebelliousness (and they *were* collecting for a stated cause). Even better is that as you develop relationships, it's usually no problem to go into a vendor tent and say, "Hey, Bob....Gimmee a bottle of water, willya?"

I also stay in the dorms and freeze two bottles each night. Some days, you just go thru more water (like early in the show last year when it was 100....)

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    .....I also stay in the dorms and freeze two bottles each night. Some days, you just go thru more water (like early in the show last year when it was 100....)
    That's what I'm plannin' to do, too. Easy and doesn't cost a cent. BTW, just bought my weekly Airventure ticket and can't wait to board the Flying Kangaroo to the US of A!

George
    Australians drink water????
    I thought you guys went from mothers milk straight to beer !!
    You are no longer my hero <g>
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    .....I thought you guys went from mothers milk straight to beer !!

Yes, I do sound quite un-Australian, don't I? Keep it quiet otherwise the Australian government will deport me to Christmas Island.