Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Changes

So you're just going to drop that little nugget without further comment?
    Hey, Nobody goes there for the food anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    I think you will be in for a very pleasant surprise.
    You left out the caveat. But I hope you're right.

;-)

Put a bug in someone's ear that they stay open during the night airshow!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post

Zaugs replaced w new vendor

Good job, EAA!

Halle-friggin-Lujah!

I once sent some strongly worded feedback to EAA HQ. One of the points made was ..."how you managed to find an awful, cheap, poor quality Bratwurst... in Wisconsin for God's sake, and managed to charge $75.00 for it, was a huge turn-off for me." Nobody likes to be ripped off, especially by their own "family" at EAA.

The fact that one enormous food vendor had the entire contract, leaving visitors with little variety and zero choice of which company to spend their money with, spoke volumes to me. There should be dozens, if not hundreds, of food vendors competing with each other, to guarantee the best quality and price.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Subway would be great. Whenever I'm traveling on terra firma and need a quick lunch, I find a Subway because it is a fairly healthy choice when it come to fast foods. If we do indeed have a Subway at AirVenture this year, expect long lines. I'll eat fast glop and move on. There's always La Sure's and the Roxy for fine fare and healthy choices.

I will say one thing about Zaugs, in my 30 years of visiting Oshkosh I have always, without a single exception, had friendly and polite service from the young workers at their cafes.
    That says some good things about the folks of the Oshkosh area.
    I don't know if the workers are mostly glad to have summer job, or to enjoy the convention or hopefully a combination of both,but they do it well.

It would be nice if the food was better, particularly more variety and a few upscale choices. But a number of people spent a lot of time on this forum last year complaining about how outrageous the price of a $3 bottle of water was. So whatever the concessionaire does, it is going to have price constraints, and it is not easy cooking and serving for masses of thousands of people.

One thing I'd really like is if someone broke the Pepsi stranglehold on EAA. It seems as if there must be a state law against having a Coke or better yet a Dr.Pepper, and Sprite.

Believe me, I've seen Subway franchises operating at events like Airventure and be guaranteed they aren't going to be making it up like they do in the restaurants. You'll find stacks of preassembled box lunches with subs in them.

I have to throw my vote in for Cousin's Subs. They are a great growing Wisconsin based company. They serve very good food. They are also the kind of company that returns a lot to the communities they are in.

I second the comment about the friendliness of the kids manning the Zaug's areas, though. Whatever negativity you might have thought about the food, the prices, or the variety, the friendly kids behind the counters or at the cash registers almost (maybe not quite) made up for it, with their invariably upbeat, "welcome to Oshkosh" way, even at 6:30 a.m.!

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

I would think that whoever the vendors are, they will still hire Oskhosh area kids at AirVenture. It would be very expensive to transport and house non-locals. I am a big believer in supporting the local business's in Oshkosh. Oshkosh residents have to put up with a lot of inconvenience during AirVenture and it should be worth it to them. There are some businesses that would fold if it were not for the extra income they make during AirVenture.

Whoever the new vendors are, I hope this is not another effort to squeeze a little more money out of those who have already spent a lot just to be there. Nothing beats competition. If it is again only one, I doubt anything will be gained.