Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Changes

I don't understand all this talk about the cost of water at airventure?????
    I've been coming to Oshkosh for the last 18 years--and I've figured out where most of the free water is located ( never more than 5 minutes away no mater where you are located)--take a empty bottle and fill it at one of these locations.
    Don't be a helpless democrat and expect everything to be done for you--PLAN AHEAD--or don't bitch about about the cost of someone hand feeding you !!
    I'm planning on going up to Oshkosh in May to take part on the first work weekend--will try and make a list of all the free places to get water and post it
    Kevin

This is not a change, but I get my cold water at the vintage barn for $1. What a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by izznsky View Post
    This is not a change, but I get my cold water at the vintage barn for $1. What a bargain.
    The U/L HQ has Gatorade, Water, Pepsi, Coffee, etc. at bargain basement prices. Doughnuts too. ;-)

Excuse me? Did you just try to politicize this post, Kevin? I would think that EAA and Airventure would be one place where we could keep our comments to our love of flying and aviation without taking political potshots at those with whom we disagree.
    Last edited by provoshane; 03-31-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    Don't be a helpless democrat and expect everything to be done for you
    I've been coming to Oshkosh for over 30 years and have always been able to find the free water. I never realized that you had to have a politically-charged dowsing rod to find water until your post. I will alter my technology for my next trip to AirVenture.
    Bill

Price gouging/concession monopoly... thus making the Oshkosh experience a little bit less enjoyable, and walking away feeling like you were the guest of honor at an armed robbery, is not a political issue.

But to address someone's parry with an appropriate riposte ("parry and re-post" in today's internet age), I'm pretty sure the people who made the decision to allow over-charging for food/water, and who put the concession monopoly in place, were not liberal helpless Democrats from Berkeley driving a flower-child-painted, "Question Authority"-stickered '67 VW bus.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

At the risk of sounding like I just don't care about apathy, isn't this all much ado about nothing--or at least, about not much?

First, about vendor food prices--sure, it'll run you about $2 more than you'd pay for the same food at your local deli, but is that a big deal? Hasn't anyone here ever been to a pro football, basketball, hockey, or baseball game? All of a sudden, Airventure vendor food sounds like such a deal!

And if you are among the suckers who think water only comes in ice cold tiny little bottles at $2 or $3 a pop, then you really deserve to have your wallets raided by the vendors of such nonsense. While it may be quite a savings to buy such stuff at your friendly local grocery store, what's wrong with an even greater savings with plain old tap water? "But it's not chilled", you say. Aw, c'mon, carry it around for 10 minutes on the average OSH 95 degree afternoon, and guess what, your $3 bottle of gen-yoo-wine artesian well water from Exotic Wherever will be bath-warm anyway.

In the many years I've come to Airventure, I have found so little to complain about that all these rants seem so silly. If in fact lunch cost $2 more than it would have at some cafe back home, that's enough to buy 2 1/2 gallons of LL if you stay the whole week. Buy breakfast, and now you've spent enough more to buy 5 gallons of LL, total. If your budget is so tight that that will make the difference in whether you come or stay home, probably you should stay home, dontcha know?

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Cary, re complaining about water prices, etc.
    Don't you know that re EAA and Oshkosh, there are two seasons.

It is kind of like they used to say about seasons in Texas, before all the Yankees moved in, and people who think kicking a soccer ball is a sport.
    There are two seasons in Texas, football season and spring football season.

So, for EAA there are two seasons, there is late July/early August when we go to and enjoy Oshkosh, and the rest of the year when we complain about how it is not perfect there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by provoshane View Post
    Excuse me? Did you just try to politicize this post, Kevin? I would think that EAA and Airventure would be one place where we could keep our comments to our love of flying and aviation without taking political potshots at those with whom we disagree.
    Ahhhhh....from the mouths of babes. Your sentiment is to be applauded but you've only been here for a very short time. Stick around, the reality may astound you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    I'm pretty sure the people who made the decision to allow over-charging for food/water, and who put the concession monopoly in place, were not liberal helpless Democrats from Berkeley driving a flower-child-painted, "Question Authority"-stickered '67 VW bus.
    Right on Brother!! Peace