Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Changes

AirVenture Changes

Wow.

just got the volunteer newsletter. Sounds like GREAT changes for 2013.

Water $2 throughout the show
    Zaugs replaced w new vendor
    New indoor toilets on hangar B
    Chapter building moved to more central loc
    Plus other changes we've known about with the sound system and chalets

Good job, EAA!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Plus Flightline tents split into two smaller locations, and working to eliminate the portable speakers. It looks like virtually all the site related complaints written about here are being addressed. It's good to see the chapters getting a more prominent location. They were quite far from the main activity.

http://www.eaa.org/volunteerinfo/new...13-changes.asp

Great. The "tent just south of the comm center" isn't a spot occupied by some existing building. It is the darned Luggage CHALET they stuck in the middle of the Antique taxiway last year. Those griping about the North 40 parking can take smuggness in the Chalets have now permanently dis[placed a good hunk of prime Vintage real estate.

Ron, are you sure that the 'new' flightline 'tent just south of the comm center' will take away space that has recently been available? I seem to remember some kind of structure being in that location for many years now. Even in 2003 I remember there being some kind of enclosed/fenced facility for VIP's (?) in that neighbourhood. I remember thinking at that time too that they weren't necessarily getting better photos than I was, so I didn't mind not being a VIP :-)

I'm rather surprised at the enthusiasm (in the comments to the newsletter) with which Zaug's replacement is greeted. Having breakfast or lunch at the Hangar Café or any of their other outlets had become a tradition for me, and there was enough variety if you didn't always go to the same place. I never ran into any problems with their staff either; on the contrary. But I'll admit I never had cause to buy any water from them or from any other outlet on-site: I always buy 8 1-gallon water bottles before setting up camp and put a new one in my backpack every morning.

Nope, we had airplanes parked there until LAST YEAR when they plopped the "trimotor inspired" luggage chalet in that space. Prior to that everything from the COMM CENTER south on the east side of the road was what we refer to as "Don's Choice" which is a group of past grand champions, special exhibits, or just real pretty/interesting things that show up that deserve to be on display close to show center.

Not backpedalling, but my original enthusiasm was intended to be more along the lines of "Thanks for listening to the member's feedback."

Water was never an issue for me. Like Roger, we always bought a case of water for the week, froze them (dorm refrigerator), and they stayed cool all day (well, most of the day). The water issue, however, was the subject of a very long and drawn out thread on this forum last year. EAA listened.

Zaug's was not that much of an issue; in years past, I lived on a brat or hot dog, chips, and drink (the Member's Special!) every day; it got old. The past few years, we bought a loaf of bread and mixed it up with PB&J's or pre-packeted tuna salad / chicken salad, or put some lunch meat in with an ice pack. But a lot of other members griped about the food selections. Again, EAA listened. We may hate the results of the new concessionaires, but at least they listened and made an attempt to change.

Unfortunately, one of the things I'll miss most are those almost foot-tall ice cream cones down by Homebuilder's HQ.

Carl Orton

First things I thought of was "Oh no! What about the Donuts!" I wasn't even thinking about the ice cream cones! Those are two traditions I'd rather not do without.

Funny you mention that, Tom; y'know, I've *never* had an EAA donut. When I hit the grounds in the AM, I'm usually "on a mission" and every time I'd pass the donut stand, the line would be out the wazzoo and I just blew it off.

Now I guess it's too late. *sigh*

Carl Orton

Here is where the VIP tent was in 2011, and supposedly where it will return this year. http://goo.gl/maps/OtqjX (If you don't see a tent, turn off the 45 deg angle view in the top right corner).

Is that where the luggage display was last year? I remember seeing it, but don't remember how far north/south it was.

------------------------

Agree with CarlOrton, the changes may turn out to be huge flops, but it is nice to see that the EAA is listening to some of the most vocal complaints from recent years.

"EAA and Zaug's have ended their longtime concession relationship. New local and national concessionaires are being signed that will provide wider menu options. In additional good news, water prices will be reduced and standardized throughout the grounds at $2 a bottle."

I think this is good. I hope McDonald's is back. I don't usually eat that kind of food, but at AirVenture the price was right and the lines moved quicker. During AirVenture I put my normal good dietary habits in the baggage compartment, except at night I do look for a healthy meal at a nearby local restaurant.

I still think there should be more water fountains available. I don't mind paying for beer, but I hate paying even $2.00 for a bottle of water. (I don't care about the ice cream cone prices. I love them) At least one can still refill their bottle when they do find a fountain. At that price it would be about $16.00 per gallon and that would be close to 2.5 gallons of 100 LL . A family of 4 could easily spend more than $20.00 per day on water, especially if it's hot.