Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture Changes

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    You could always volunteer.
    Volunteer? My God, man. Get that thought out of my head. Of course, whipping around in one of those little scooters looks kinda fun. Maybe someday working myself up to one of those VW Bugs with the roof cut off, but I'm sure they would have me cleaning out the latrines or picking us cigarette butts.

You pretty much get to pick where and what you want to do. Lots of fun jobs available.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

This has been a great thread, talking about all kinds of on point topics. The wife (she who manages the finances...otherwise I would have actual knowledge about how much flying costs me) is reconciled to me going back to AirVenture this year. This thread has made me want to come for the whole week! (And with Government furloughs, I may not even have to worry about spending vacation days to be there!)

Now for my question. Disney/Pixar "Planes" is being released the week after AirVenture. Any chance they will provide a sneak peak at OSH? I could not possibly think of a better venue with a more supportive audience.

All the posts about food vendors made me hungry! I didn't make it last year, but seems in years prior to that, the availability of food outside the gates (and within walking distance of Camp Scholler) was pretty slim. Are there any plans to have some vendors for the Camp Scholler folks who are too lazy to get in their campers and cook?

Just volunteer.

It only feels perverted the first couple of times.

Except for the dude with the Fox Tourette's. If you hate democrats you ain't gonna have no fun at all, volunteering.....
    Last edited by Antique Tower; 04-06-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaustinmd View Post
    All the posts about food vendors made me hungry! I didn't make it last year, but seems in years prior to that, the availability of food outside the gates (and within walking distance of Camp Scholler) was pretty slim. Are there any plans to have some vendors for the Camp Scholler folks who are too lazy to get in their campers and cook?
    That's where you wander over to your neighbors camp, the one with the big grill. Or do what I did, crash some RV'ers builder group dinner that was held in Scholler down the row from my camp site. Eat their food, listen to the presentation, eat some more food, help 'em clean up, then back to my camp site.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    That's where you wander over to your neighbors camp, the one with the big grill. Or do what I did, crash some RV'ers builder group dinner that was held in Scholler down the row from my camp site. Eat their food, listen to the presentation, eat some more food, help 'em clean up, then back to my camp site.
    One year, we pulled in next to a huge bus - very friendly neighbor - always had a beer in his hand. He said he had been there three days. Asked him how he liked AirVenture so far, and he said "I don't know - haven't made it over there yet! Wanna beer?" LOL! So, plenty of beer, but no free eats!

There used to be the "Greek Guy" near Camp Scholler that had breakfast available in the a.m.'s and gyro's, etc., all day. Also there was a pretty big tent nearby with steak sandwiches, etc. Seems the last few times I was there none of these vendors were there anymore - sure was convenient to camping!

John
    N750A

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    First things I thought of was "Oh no! What about the Donuts!" I wasn't even thinking about the ice cream cones! Those are two traditions I'd rather not do without.
    In all seriousness, does anyone know whether a new vendor will continue some of these traditions? My older daughter's birthday falls during Airventure. Every year she just wants the Classic Cafe donuts for her birthday "cake" - see the picture below for a snapshot from OSH 2011, when she turned 7, along with her sister who is already eyeing the donuts:

Name:  IMG_6970.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  63.8 KB

(I know, a picture was not really necessary for this post but who doesn't like sharing pics of their kids? )

Anyway, I told her last night that we may not be able to have the donuts for her 9th birthday this year and she - literally - burst into tears. I tried to placate her with an offer of a custom cake from La Sure's, or donuts from elsewhere (IIRC the Tall Pines cafe also serves donuts?) but she was really looking forward to our tradition.

If anyone knows whether the donuts will still be there, I would appreciate a head's up!

RE: Food. Why are there contracted vendors at all? At SNF, it looks like a state fair. "Bob's Chile" next to "Zeke's Corn Dogs." EAA should just charge for the booth and let people come in and sell food. The market will work it out. And, FWIW, I kind of like Zaug's for the same reason I like it when they have clogging teens and barbershop quartets at Theater in the Woods: It isn't good, but it's Oshkosh.

RE: Water. This is a safety issue. There should be more readily available tap water, or else bottled water should be free. There's a theme park in Santa Claus, Indiana that includes unlimited name-brand soft drinks and sunscreen with admission. EAA could so something similar by increasing admissions or parking by a negligible amount. And, since I couldn't tell you within $20 what daily admission was last year, it's safe to say that $10 a day would be negligible.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBob View Post
    RE: Food. Why are there contracted vendors at all? At SNF, it looks like a state fair. "Bob's Chile" next to "Zeke's Corn Dogs." EAA should just charge for the booth and let people come in and sell food.
    This is in effect just what we've done. There will be somewhere around 20 different food vendors around the grounds. Also, you should note that Sun 'n Fun's food vendors sign contracts, just like any other vendor.

RE: Water. This is a safety issue. There should be more readily available tap water, or else bottled water should be free.
    We've provided multiple drinking fountain units at multiple locations around the grounds for years. What we haven't done is a good job of helping people find them - I'm hoping we can do a better job of that this year. In addition, lots of spots around the grounds do give out free bottles of water, but the overwhelming feedback we've gotten says that people don't mind paying for a bottle of water with their lunch, they just thought 3 bucks was too much. We agreed, and this year it'll be 2 bucks.

And, since I couldn't tell you within $20 what daily admission was last year, it's safe to say that $10 a day would be negligible.
    Daily admission this year (after June 15) is $28 for adult EAA members. Adding 10 bucks to that, a 36% increase, would be a little more than negligible...
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 06-08-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation