Thread: Sun N' Fun

Sun N' Fun

So I have never been to Oshkosh or Sun N' Fun. I was wondering if there was anyone that could tell me what not to miss. And what is a must see at Sun N' Fun?

Michael Cook

Sun N Fun is very much like Oshkosh except perhaps 1/2 the size. That's good since you really can see a lot of it in 2 or 3 days. It is much more compact, you can walk from all the way at the ulralights on the east,north to the warbirds and then west and south through the homebuiilts and to the vendor hangars in much less time than trying to cover Airventure. The only thing not readily available is seaplanes as these are off site.
    And if you look around, I think there are some places with decent food.

One tight spot is housing. Maybe you are planning on camping, but if not it is very late to find a room in Lakeland so you may have to go 30 miles to another town.

Enjoy it. The weather can be very nice this time a year if there are no tornadoes. And don't don't swim in any of the lakes unless you like being a gator snack.

I am assuming things are still like this, as I have not been there in some years.

My wife and I went last year. Arrived by (?) 8-9 AM, and were done by 1:30. Understand: we were on a time crunch due to airline flights. We basically saw it all in that time. Walked from the campground to the warbirds, saw all the exhibits, stopped and chatted with several folks, and took our time wandering around the homebuilts. Bought some souvenirs, had some AeroShell luggage tags made, etc. We're planning to go again this year, and will allot a bit more time, just to provide better coverage. Also intend to visit Fantasy of Flight which is just down the road.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl, I would advise giving Fantasy a phone call and find out what planes they have for rides, also when if any there are display flights by Fantasy of their great stuff.
    Last time I was there a lady was doing rides in a Stearman, and we got to see Kermit fly his P-51 and another pilot demo the Feisler Storch.

The 50's style diner there is good for lunch, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowyibook@me.com View Post
    So I have never been to Oshkosh or Sun N' Fun. I was wondering if there was anyone that could tell me what not to miss. And what is a must see at Sun N' Fun?

Michael Cook
    I have to pass this on since a friend of mine keeps citing it as a good enough reason to go to S & F in the first place. He says the Amphib Cub at Jack Browns (not at S&F but close by) is worth it even though it is a bit pricey. I've never been but hope to be there this year. I don't think a final decision has been made about cutting the Thunderbird show (sequestration) but I'm sure there will be an adequate make-up.

EDGEFLY

Sun N' Fun is everything Oshkosh should be. Better weather, more relevant exhibits, better accommodations, and you are not made to feel like your wallet is more important than you are. Being so close to Orlando is great for family members that don't quite share in the passion of flight.

Take a close look at the schedule before you get there. Sometimes there is a can't miss speaker, forum or workshop that you might want to plan your day around.

Ditto Turtles comments. I've been to both. Lakeland since it started in the 1980's thru the present only missed 1990-1996 when I attended Oshkosh. (Still can't call it AirveXXXXXX).
    The campground experience at Lakeland is amazing. The atmosphere, camaraderie, weather, sights and sounds is amazing. Look me up. I'll be tent camping in a red tent on "Juliet".
    Hope the Birds do cancel. They run us out of the campground during their shows and practices due to the waiver. I've seen them since they were flying Phantoms. Impressive, yes, but no synergy with the Sun -n- Fun experience.

OSH and Sun-N-Fun are different experiences. Sun-N-Fun is scheduled at the time when us northern folks are sick and tired of winter and are ready to feel a warm breeze on our face. Running down the east coast from where the ground is still white and watching the scenery get greener the further south you travel is great for the soul after what seems like a long winter.

Sun-N-Fun is more "intimate". OSH is so spread out these days that you can hike for what seems like miles. And perhaps due to it being in the south, Sun-N-Fun feels more relaxed.

They both can have weather problems, but I think that OSH has more heat vs Sun-N-Fun maybe sometimes having rain.

The arrivals at both events work really really well. The ATC guys have it figured out and make everything flow.

There are reasons to go to either one. But if you have not gone to either, you owe it to yourself to go to one. Look at your schedule and find time in April or July to be there. You won't regret it.

I recall falling asleep at OSH one night in the antique area not far from the Theater in the Woods, and as I fell asleep I could hear Bob Hoover on stage poking fun at Yeager sitting next to him.

And I have memories of being over Sun-N-Fun at 2PM looking out the door of a DC-3 at the Lima Lima team in formation, getting ready to step out into the air over airshow center to open the airshow with the American flag.

The best answer is to try both and make up your own mind which fits you better.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS