Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Opening Day Concert

Banned
    Chicago's great but was hoping for someone previously unseen like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Oh well, maybe next year.

Chicago is awesome...best concert at Airventure so far! Great to see them back!

I agree with you, JimDC8! I've seen them all, and that one a few yrs ago *was* just about the best. Of course, musical tastes run the full spectrum, but for this guy, I let out a whoop when the tweet hit my phone!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I've seen Chicago. Not my first choice, but probably a good middle of the road show.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Since it took so long to get someone booked, I am wondering if they were holding out for someone else, and this was their backup option...

EAA Staff

Booking Chicago for opening-day concert

Quote Originally Posted by provoshane View Post
    Since it took so long to get someone booked, I am wondering if they were holding out for someone else, and this was their backup option...
    Actually, there are a few things involved. One is finding the groups that will be enjoyed by a fairly wide audience. Two is seeing if those performers are touring and in the general area during AirVenture week. Three is, of course, price (we're somewhat under the required budget for the Rolling Stones, for instance <g>). Four is working with the various band bookers to see if a deal can be worked out. There might be several offers out at any time early in the game before it gets narrowed down. Sometimes it goes very quickly, sometimes it takes a little longer to find the right band, right date and right contract. It took a little longer this year, but we're very happy to have Chicago back.

In 2010 when they last appeared at OSH, it was a beautiful, warm, sunny evening -- the perfect antidote to "Sloshkosh" up to that point!

Hope that helps clarify things!

Dick Knapinski
    EAA Communications

Sounds fine by me, I'll try to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Knapinski View Post
    (we're somewhat under the required budget for the Rolling Stones, for instance <g>).
    Hope that helps clarify things!

Dick Knapinski
    EAA Communications
    I think EVERYONE is under the required budget for the Stones, including them! Did you see that they have had to lower ticket prices because their ticket sales were so bad?

Well, I'm happy to see that Chicago is coming back. I missed them in 2010 as I was still driving up from Rock Falls after the DC-3 meet there, and as far as I'm concerned it's bands like them that I'm looking forward to for the opening concert.