Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Concert

America would be Good and they are still available on the 29th of July 2013............Hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    I'm just surprised how old some of those bands have gotten while I've stayed as young (at heart) as ever.

Tell me about it........

I spent many years in the late 70's and early 80's as an audio engineer working for several Nashville based acts. The problem is with many of the popular groups of that time period is that many are approaching their 60's and 70's. Some are still healthy and capable of performing, but I've also seen some that while healthy have lost capabilty to perform well due to age related issues. It's amazing how old some of the folks I used to work with are getting. I still see some of them when they performed in the area. Then I'm reminded when I look in the mirror, I probably come across to them as getting older too.

The good news is that we have a hobby that keeps us all young at heart.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I hope the Eagles don't play at EAA. Nothing to do with their music, but one of them has been very anti- gen aviation. He has or had a house overlooking the airport here and didn't like the airport noise.
    He got the county attorney to take legal action to stop night flights by gen aviation. He secretly gave $100,000 to the county to fight against private aviation.

It was a large hassle for a lot of people, and his funding and position only came out later. I can't recall for sure which member of the band it was, this was about 15 years ago.

Tom Petty would be great, but Jimmy Buffet would be the ultimate!! $(Again very pricey)$

Quote Originally Posted by stummers View Post
    Jimmy Buffet would be the ultimate!! $(Again very pricey)$
    Now you are talking!!!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

John Oates of Hall and Oates is a pilot.

I wonder if John Denver was ever asked to sing at EAA, when he was alive. He would have been good, his music was easy to listen to and would appeal to a broad middle range of people, just like most of the crowd at EAA. And John really was a pilot, he was a pilot before he became a celebrity, his Dad was an Air Force crew.
    I didn't know him well, but he came to a party for our airshow at our house once. Strangely he never took part in our local airshow, he seemed to be away performing mostly.
    His fatal accident was a sad thing that should have been avoided.

He's an actor, not a singer, but I have met Kurt Russel at the airport when he was flying a Mooney similar to one I owned. He seems like a nice guy and pretty down to earth.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-05-2013 at 07:21 PM.

I've been attending EAA Oshkosh Since 1972. I have seen a lot of changes over the years. Some I have liked and some not. See what you want, attend what you like, there is plenty to do and see and believe me, you wont get to experience it all. Isn't it nice to have an event that seems to try and provide something for everyone? Whether you are a pilot or not, a male or female, age 3 or age 90, day or night you will find something to do. We have seen the opening day concert(loved the Beach Boys), The Lt. Dan Band, The Blooze Bros. and many others. Just because you might not like 100% of the venue doesn't mean that it should be restricted for others. Hope to see you all at Oshkosh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I wonder if John Denver was ever asked to sing at EAA, when he was alive. He would have been good, his music was easy to listen to and would appeal to a broad middle range of people, just like most of the crowd at EAA. And John really was a pilot, he was a pilot before he became a celebrity, his Dad was an Air Force crew.
    I didn't know him well, but he came to a party for our airshow at our house once. Strangely he never took part in our local airshow, he seemed to be away performing mostly.
    His fatal accident was a sad thing that should have been avoided.
    I know he did play in Theater in the Woods. May have played there more than once. Can't remember the year or years though. I think he brought his Steen Skybolt.

While not the opening day concert. On the Lt. Dan Band's website, it shows them playing the Friday night show at Theater in the Woods again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    While not the opening day concert. On the Lt. Dan Band's website, it shows them playing the Friday night show at Theater in the Woods again this year.
    Nice to see you on here Bear!