Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Concert

Having attended Oshkosh every year since it moved to Oshkosh in 1970, I understand some people still wishing there was no openning day concert. But unlike some of the more recent "seating/gathering areas" that popped up over the last couple years, I actually like the concert. I remember when it was only in Theater in the Woods. Like with John Denver back in the day. But as time goes on and things have gotten bigger, things must also change. I don't stay every year for the concert (I drive back and fourth from Green Bay). I only stay if I want to see the band. One I left because the weather looked so bad (The Doobie Brothers) and of course I'm kicking myself to this day for leaving because I really wanted to see that one.
    My point here is, it's now part of the tradition of Oshkosh to have the concert. And Rod, you'd never know there was a concert there by Tuesday morning and it get's filled in with all kinds of aircraft. So just try and roll with it guys. You'll have a lot more fun. Oshkosh to me is all about having a great time around some great people and great airplanes every summer. If they throw in a good concert, it just makes it more fun. Now, how about Fleetwood Mac?

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I just wish Steve Miller played more songs from the 70s that I knew and less new stuff I'd never heard.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

I was just reading that Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers are playing a series of small venues and outdoor festivals over the summer, I wonder if they could be a possibility. I think they'd fit the demographic - certainly if Foreigner and the Doobies did. "Learning to Fly" at Airventure!

Banned

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by AV8NLVR View Post
    I was just reading that Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers are playing a series of small venues and outdoor festivals over the summer, I wonder if they could be a possibility. I think they'd fit the demographic - certainly if Foreigner and the Doobies did. "Learning to Fly" at Airventure!
    Hey, for a first post, that's a damn good suggestion. Maybe he'd bring what's left of the Traveling Wilburys as well. Now that would be a concert!!

I have not yet heard ANYTHING about who the opening day act might be, but man o' man would it be cool if it were Tom Petty!

His mid summer dates are not yet set, the website says check back next week so that's when we'll know where he'll be on the 29th Tom, I was there the year that the Doobie Brothers came. I also lived in Green Bay. I remember standing around under a wing while it was pouring and I didn't have rain gear - and then they had to dry off the stage but I stuck it out. When they finally went onstage a lot of people had left and I got pretty close.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I'm just surprised how old some of those bands have gotten while I've stayed as young (at heart) as ever.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Now don't go rubbing it in about the Doobie's. Hey, I think they even had tornado warnings (or watches) going on all around us. Skies were just black. I remember telling my wife and brother, "There's no way their going to be able to go on". So we hit the car, drove home. Went on the computer and there they were playing! (Insert head hitting wall sound)

I enjoy the concerts. I do have to say that after camping out in the hot sun a few hours to get a good spot, it does aggravate me when the inevitable and insensitive boobs creep in during the concert and stand in front of me, blocking my view. I get that it is going to happen but it still pisses me off sometimes

You know who would be great? America. I saw them up at Big Top Chatauqua a few years ago in Bayfield, Wisconsin and they still sound great. And I think we forget how many hit songs they had. Their career very much tracked along the Eagles' too. Or everyone can just watch this.
    Last edited by Bob Collins; 03-03-2013 at 11:37 AM.