Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Concert

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    What's controversial about the DC's?
    Basically, a member publicly expressed a political opinion that was contrary to that held by the majority of its fan base. Those of us of a certain age remember the firestorm ignited by John Lennon in '66 when he claimed that the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus." Same sort of thing, only political rather than religious.

Ron Wanttaja

Doesn't D C stand for Douglas Commercial as is DC-3?

No, Dixie Chicks.

Rick Springfield will be in the Wisconsin Dells the Friday before Oshkosh.

I took my wife to see him a couple years ago. Still puts on a good show. Good band. He had a lot of hits.

I'll go on record as a fan of most 1st day concerts. I really enjoyed REO Speedwagon 2 years back. From the crowd I'd say REO hit the demographics about perfect, can't please everybody. Hopefully they are getting close.

If EAA is really serious about attracting younger folks to aviation how about a band that someone under the age of 35 recognizes and listens to. I'm not saying that REO Speedwagon, Chicago, or Steve Miller aren't great bands just that they were in their prime years ago and don't resonate with younger folks. A popular country singer with recent hits would probably draw a much larger crowd with a mix of younger and older generations in my opinion.

Keith

I don't think Nine Inch Nails or P!nk will ever be performing at Airventure lol

But seriously.... the reason they pick what they do is the demographic which is probably similar to the general target audience for most advertising: 45-54 males. (maybe plus or minus a few). My theory is that is because those are the people who have the most disposable income to spend on general aviation. Sure, its about the passion for flying which you can have at 7 or 77, but its a business too. They display planes & parts for people to buy & build.

Banned
    And now for something completely different and involving aviation history. The Corrigan Brothers Band from Ireland. To celebrate the 75th anniversary this year of famous aviator "Wrongway" Corrigan, who flew from NYC to Ireland in 1938 in record time instead of California as planned, they have written a song and produced a video to commemorate the event. The video contains all original footage of the time.

http://youtu.be/8J0tFZDRHhw

I'm told that folklore suggests he always had intended to fly to Ireland but created this diversion in order to avoid the apparent strict regulations of the time for flying the Atlantic. He was a hailed a hero and was fetted with a parade like Lindy.

Steve Martin is touring with the bluegrass band. That would be a big change from Steve Miller band last year. So far, the choices each year have been really good, even including the 'Beach Boys' who I am not especially fond of.

Looking forward to hearing the announcement...