Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cessna 120/140 wheel extension

Quote Originally Posted by babyace View Post
    I get 35lbs with a wood prop. but I am going to an 0-200 engine and I think the tail will be even lighter. Thanks for the reply..Mike
    How much when you sitting in the plane?

+1 on the suggestions to put the engine on first, then do a W&B check as well as measure the weight on the tailwheel. You may also find that going with a heavier tailwheel or moving a battery or ELT further aft is enough to balance out any changes because of the long lever arm.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-22-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I have seen wheel extensions on Cessna 120/140 to move the wheels about 2 or three inches forward to put mor weight on the tail. I want to use something simular on my baby ace can someone give me a discription (material and dementions) Mike
    I have over 300 hours in a C 120 that I owned. I could pick up the tail with just prop blast while holding the brakes ( a bit scary ! ) BUT the plane had NO tendency to nose over - the horizontal stab & elevator did their job. I felt way more in control and safer with only two wheels on the ground ( take off or landing ). I had a friend with the same plane ( one year newer ). He had the extenders on. Not only could he not take off or land on two wheels ( a real loss in cross wind conditions ) - it was really hard to lift his tail for any purpose ( like when moving / parking ). This is not a modification to undertake lightly.....

I would put a little bigger main wheel on her. This will make her a little taller and put more weight on the tail wheel. I did this on an airplane that I ground looped more times then not. After I raised the mains some this really helped and no more ground loops in this airplane. It may work here too.

Tony

The goal is to keep the Ace from nosing over. It does not have a tendency to be really "mean" on the ground but I want to go to an 0-200 to replace the Cont. 65 The plan calls for a standard J-3 gear. That was the reason for the questions on mod. Thanks for the reply. Mike
    The weight difference between the A-65 and O-200 is going to be dependent on how you equip the O-200. Both engines weight very near the same without any accessories. Leave off the vacuum pump, starter, and alternator and the O-200 should not add any significant weight to your plane. If you need an alternator, B&C makes a nifty little unit that bolts onto the O-200 vacuum pad and weighs less than four pounds. The O-200 in my Fokker D.VII (http://fokkerd7.com) has the small alternator and lightweight Sky-Tec starter and is a very nice combination with minimal weight.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log