Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Crazed Pilot" LED Strobes/Landing Lights?

Hi guys!

Matthew is correct, considering the brightness to dollar ratio there is no competitor for our LED strobe system. The current CRAZEDpilot LED strobe system is intentionally light weight - it's used primarily for ultralights and light sports.

The ads do explain you have to fab your own mounting as you've seen - please understand all builders have different mounting needs, and we have to provide 'middle of the road' mounting solutions that will work for everyone.
    There is sufficient screw depth on the lense cases to build your own custom mount - thousands of happy customers
    with no one previous complaining about the thread depth (1/2 inch).

The Strobe lights you reference are only one of our LED lighting products; more are being added all the time along with
    improvements based on customer feedback. The link to the product is here so you can review it up close and on video for yourself along with the 'Reviews' tab that shows all the customer reviews - none have been removed, those are all real reviews from customers.

Thanks guys! Safe building and flying!
    ~Brendan
    CRAZEDpilot.com
    Last edited by CRAZEDpilot; 02-20-2013 at 12:51 PM.

If Crazed Pilot would somewhat 'beef up' the light case and provide a mounting method I certainly purchase another set, even if the price had to almost double. Some product engineering might make Crazed Pilot's offerings a serious challenge to the more established light makers.

I purchased a pair of these and after testing and examining them I would not install them on my plane. First, I don't believe the light level is sufficient and secondly they are so cheaply constructed I don't believe they would last very long. We put one of them on an ATV just for grins and it quit within 3 months. Moisture I suspect. Of course I only paid $35 bucks for them so I got what I paid for.

A quick check on the website indicates 400ma current draw. I am assuming a few things - stated current is for one lamp and is the actual current draw during the on time and not an average including the duty cycle. If correct that places the power at 5 watts and not easily seen in full daylight.
    these come in white and are close
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-22-LED-Am...fb3211&vxp=mtr
    these are bigger and a bit more power.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-48-LED-Pa...1843%26ps%3D54

these appear to have a better mounting bracket - no note of power
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emergency-4x...39c069&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by mikeno View Post
    I purchased a pair of these and after testing and examining them I would not install them on my plane. First, I don't believe the light level is sufficient and secondly they are so cheaply constructed I don't believe they would last very long. We put one of them on an ATV just for grins and it quit within 3 months. Moisture I suspect. Of course I only paid $35 bucks for them so I got what I paid for.
    That's what I suspected ... you get what you pay for! After a little more research, I've decided to go with AeroLED's "Microsun." It's only about 1" x 3" but is very bright - 1800+lumens - and is light-weight and has built-in selectable wig-wag mode for the 3 LED's. It's aviation-quality, but again, you pay for it - a little less than $350 delivered from Spruce.
    However, since it is also a non-standard, retangular shape, I'm reluctant to cut holes in the cowl. My Zenith STOL 750 has a Jabiru 3300, and after adding an oil sump cooling duct that utilizes bleed air off the left ram-air duct, I've got excess oil cooling ability, anyway, so I hit upon the idea of mounting the LED light in the top of the oil cooler duct inlet in the cowl. I'm going to bond the mount to the inside of the cowl so just the light will be visible from the outside. I don't think the 3 sq. inches of flat plate area will have much effect on my oil cooler since I have the excess cooling ability, anyway!
    John
    N750A

If I were looking for a landing light, I would definitely take a closer look at the offering for off-road car and motorcycle use. They are designed for rough treatment, light, bright and affordable. Something like these, which I have not used, though I have been happy with non-aviation products from the same site:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/m...iliary-lights/
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft