Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Crazed Pilot" LED Strobes/Landing Lights?

"Crazed Pilot" LED Strobes/Landing Lights?

Has anyone installed a pair of the "Crazed Pilot" LED strobes/landing lights? I have a Zenith STOL CH750 and primarily wanted some LED lights to increase my visibility to others from the front (I have wingtip strobes already) - I'm not really so concerned about having a landing light, but that's a nice plus, too. The "Crazed Pilot" kit has a certainly attractive price ($39!) which includes a control box/wigwag module, but since it is so inexpensive, I don't want to mount them only to have them die prematurely.
    They sell direct from their website and also on Ebay and Amazon - however, no reviews on Amazon. Anybody with any substantial experience with them?
    John
    N750A

Here is a link to the lights on the Crazed Pilot site.

Sorry, no direct experience with them, but they did respond promptly and clearly to a question that I sent them a while ago:

Q: Question on your LED Aircraft Strobe Light (Wig-Wag) & Landing Light System: Would a single ON-OFF-ON toggle switch be appropriate, rather than dual switches, to control the constant on vs. wig-wag functions? For example, up for ON, middle for OFF, down for FLASH? Thanks! Matthew

A. YES! That will absolutely work – 12volts to the center pole, and then your strobe (yellow) to the top, red (landing) to the bottom, and ground the black wire and you’re set. You’re describing a ‘SPDT’ (Single POLE, DOUBLE THROW) switch that Radio Shack etc can provide. This is how our ‘company plane’ is wired, and it works great.
    The prices of LEDs and related components are coming down all the time. I'd take a look at some of the other, more expensive options out there and check the dimensions of their lights. That way, you can make sure that whatever mounting system you use would be adaptable to another brand if these die. But at $39 for the set, I don't see that you have much to lose. Set behind clear panels in the cowling or leading edge, they would like great.
    Last edited by cluttonfred; 02-18-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added link
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I too have been looking at these lights. About 2 years ago I started working on a light system for my airplane at a reasonable price. I looked at many different strobe systems and purchased a few low cost units to compair.

I found one LED strobe system I really like but they are not unidirectionable or in other words they have to be pointing at you to see them. But these are bright, so bright they caution about looking into them. I found them for under 60 bucks, come with a driver box where you can control the flash pattern and speed of flash.

I then found another strobe system that is more like what you would find as wing strobes. These have a bulb that is that classic U shaped strobe light that is seen in all directions. These too come with a control box that controls flash pattern and speed of flash. Again cost under 60 bucks.

I then found another LED strobe system that I was working on making a cluster strobe light. these have 3 or 4 led lights per per strip. I was hooking 3 strips together to make a led cluster that could be seen in all directions or unidirectional. Again under 60 bucks.

I put all this on hold. I just the other day dug all this stuff out and started looking at installing some of this on my airplane.

The biggest hurdle I see is trying to install lights in a flying airplane. Not real sure how to run wires, or install mounts in a finished airplane. I also do not want to cause more drag on my plane.

I will take pics of the strobes I have and what I am doing. Maybe someone else can use this info. I will start a new thread when I do this so others can find this info.

Also remember this is being installed on Experimental HB Airplane not a certified airplane.

Fly Smart

H.A.S.

On the subject of these Crazed pilot lights, I am planning on buying a set and using them for the effect of landing lights. But again I do not want to cause more drag on my plane and slow her down any. This has been my biggest reason for putting off this purchase. I have been trying to work out the problem of drag from mounting these lights.

Fly Smart

1600vw, what plane are you talking about? Folks here might have some installation tips or ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    On the subject of these Crazed pilot lights, I am planning on buying a set and using them for the effect of landing lights. But again I do not want to cause more drag on my plane and slow her down any. This has been my biggest reason for putting off this purchase. I have been trying to work out the problem of drag from mounting these lights.

Fly Smart
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Long View Post
    ... The prices of LEDs and related components are coming down all the time. I'd take a look at some of the other, more expensive options out there and check the dimensions of their lights. That way, you can make sure that whatever mounting system you use would be adaptable to another brand if these die. But at $39 for the set, I don't see that you have much to lose. Set behind clear panels in the cowling or leading edge, they would like great.
    You've hit on the dilemma: these lights seem bright enough, etc., but there really are no standardized dimensions for LED lights without going to a PAR-sized light, etc. I would like to do a cowl mount, but I am very reluctant to cut some sort of mounting hole in my beautiful cowl, install a cheap light, and then have it die within a short period time. I'd really like to hear from someone on the longevity/service life of these units! I guess I'm so sensitive because I once bought some cheap LED's for my RV (recreation vehicle, not airplane!) and they proceeded to randomly burn out in very short order!
    To avoid this whole dilemma, I might not do a cowl mount and mount them on the fronts of my gear/strut fitting - it's a draggy flat plate area anyway. They would wind up looking pretty similar to the Kitfox's strobes in the video on the Crazed Pilot website.
    John
    N750A

I purchased the lights from Crazed Pilot. They worked fine, but seem rather fragile. They have no mounting provision whatsoever. The idea of screwing them to a backing plate as suggested in their literature doesn't work well due to the very thin material into which to attach screws.

I ended up tossing them into the garbage. They do work and are bright, but mounting them is a challenge, and overall they are not what some would consider 'aircraft quality' units.

Name:  me 015.JPG
Views: 1782
Size:  94.7 KBFisher Avenger. I thought about mounting them in the leading edge for these only take a 3/4 inch hole. But I worry about putting anything in the leading edge. So I might do a landing gear install but again I know this will be draggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    I purchased the lights from Crazed Pilot. They worked fine, but seem rather fragile. They have no mounting provision whatsoever. The idea of screwing them to a backing plate as suggested in their literature doesn't work well due to the very thin material into which to attach screws.

I ended up tossing them into the garbage. They do work and are bright, but mounting them is a challenge, and overall they are not what some would consider 'aircraft quality' units.
    That is exactly what I feared! No way I'm going to modify my cowl/cut holes if there is any question about durability/structural integrity! I think I'm going to go with Rigid Industries - they make a very nice looking flush-mount unit. Now, I guess the question is spot vs flood vs driving pattern? I want it on the cowl/nose to be seen primarily, landing light consideration second. I think I'll start a new post to see what others have to suggest.
    John
    N750A

I believe that the Fisher geodetic construction means the leading edge is not load-bearing structure (like a D-cell spar) but just a fairing over the ribs. In that case, maybe you could cut out a small section, glue in a flange behind it, and add a clear plastic flush window over the hole. That way you can put your LED light behind the window and if you have to change it you don't change the appearance.

Fisher Avenger. I thought about mounting them in the leading edge for these only take a 3/4 inch hole. But I worry about putting anything in the leading edge. So I might do a landing gear install but again I know this will be draggy.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info