Thread: Tail Leaf Spring

Tail Leaf Spring

The tail spring on my Cygnet doesn't have enough bend in it. Is there a way I can heat it up, bend, and then reheat/slowly cool down? Or, should I just look for something different?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by sr2500 View Post
    The tail spring on my Cygnet doesn't have enough bend in it. Is there a way I can heat it up, bend, and then reheat/slowly cool down?
    Is it a flat steel spring? Single leaf?

Marty,
    Yes, it is a fat steel spring single leaf.

To be on the safe side you have to know the precise material designation and with the right material data sheet you can look for the proper heat treatment. Depending on the material there is a good chance to spoil the spring when applying the wrong treatment.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Not familiar with the Cygnet, but most springs can and should be cold bent. Had springs made for my Starduster Too made by a heavy truck shop. When I needed more arch, he cold bent them and told me heat would ruin the spring temper.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Jim has the best answer. You can have it re-arched to get more bend. Shops that do that are somewhat common. Heating and rebending will increase the probability of failure, not sure you want that risk on your plane.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    After the truck spring guy showed me, I've actually rearched a few springs myself on my hydraulic press with good results. Makes it easy to get that correct final curve when the plane is sitting a few feet away. Need to keep that kingpin angle correct!
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

The tail spring on my Cygnet doesn't have enough bend in it. Is there a way I can heat it up, bend, and then reheat/slowly cool down? Or, should I just look for something different?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    I have a brand new Leaf Spring for a Rans S4 taildragger. If you can use it its your free. If you think you want this I will send some pics your way.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Our EAA chapter is building (finishing) a Cygnet as a chapter project. We would be very grateful and interested to correspond with you about this unique aircraft.

I also have a composite spring you are welcome to try out as a tail spring. It is a mono-leaf type, fiberglass, and offers several advantages over steel leaves.

Having a truck spring shop cold bend your spring is the way to go. I agree that any "garage level" heat treating, without specific experience and knowledge, will ruin your spring.

Bill Berle, Chapter 40 (Los Angeles) victorbravo )at{ sbcglobal dot]net[
    Last edited by Victor Bravo; 03-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Guys, thanks. I've been on the road for a few days and only now got to look at the responses. I'll take mine to a truck shop and see what they can do. I should be able to trace the current profile and where it should be. Email sent re the Chapter project. I have a good list of several people working on Cygnets, as well as the designer.
    Jerry