Thread: Full size WW1 2 place LSA Biplane

Full size WW1 2 place LSA Biplane

Howdy, I'm new here. As a companion story to Franks great Nieuport build, a few of us been working with Robert Baslee of Airdrome Aeroplanes on a prototype side by side full size Sopwith replica of the Sopwith Tabloid/Schneider/Baby series of plane, with landplane versions convertable later to floats. My goal is to replicate the WW1 era flying experience but with modern safety and inexpensively (and simply!). My project is a full size replica of the Sopwith Hamble Baby Convert two place RNAS training airplane. It's a bit tight, yes, with cockpit dimensions similar to a Luscombe but much more headroom. It looks like we will be coming in empty at about 800 pounds, leaving us just enough to squeeze under using LSA rules.

Name:  DSC_0025a3-1.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  66.6 KBName:  IMGP3754.30%.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  92.7 KB

Construction is all tube and gusset, spruce cabane and interplane struts, and have a couple of original period instruments to complete the "ambiance". Finishing up the original wheel and rudder bar control system now, and hope to get airworthiness certificate soon.

Name:  gallery_45803_687_3653654small.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  42.5 KBName:  instruments small.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  72.6 KB

The pictures don't do the plane justice!

I had the honor of pulling this thing off the trailer as it returned from OSH last year at Robert's shop and it has a real presence.

It's a big plane with a gleaming rotac and a huge prop - it's a big gulp to think about flying it for a guy like me.

He's also understating the cockpit size, as I think two will fit with plenty of room to spare. Caveat: I'm built at 7/8ths scale just like my Nieuport so YMMV.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Any idea when they plan to offer the kits?

available now,

Ah, but if I ever built a two-seat WWI replica it would HAVE would have two cockpits so my kids could take turns blasting away with a replica Lewis gun. When will something like that be coming out? Bristol F.2 Fighter, Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8, Breguet 14, even a Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter, I'm not picky. ;-)
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

A delightful looking flying machine