Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Writer Hitchhiking on GA to all 50 States

Travel Writer Hitchhiking on GA to all 50 States

Hi everyone!
    I am a travel writer who is "hitching" rides on general aviation planes across the US in an effort to visit all 50 states. I began in July 2012 and visited Oshkosh right off the bat. Since the, I've been to 19 states on 26 different planes including a 1940 Waco, a Hawker, a Cozy, Kitfox, VariEze etc... I have a particular interest in learning more about experimentals and ultralights.

My project has attracted a lot of media attention from the AOPA, Seattle Times, AOL Travel, and NBC's Today.com as well as numerous other outlets. I am blogging about the adventure on JetHiking.com, where you will also find photos, an overview of the project, and map of where I have been. A book is in the works...

If you are interested, you can also follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

I'm currently in Lafayette, Louisiana and am trying to head east (or north). If anyone can help me out in any of the southern states (or elsewhere) please let me know! Also, if you know of any events I should attend (I'm trying to make it to Sun n' Fun), or have any advice feel free to shoot me an e-mail at JetHikingGypsy@gmail.com or call (585) 245-1411. Thank you!

Blue Skies

Amber
    Last edited by jethikinggypsy; 02-16-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Banned
    Hey Amber,

Love what you're doing! You're the new Jack Kerouac but with airplanes instead of boxcars. How cool is that! For the book title do a take on "On The Road". Maybe Arlo Guthrie(Woody's son) will write a song about your adventures.

Be safe and careful out there.....there's a whole lotta pilots who think they're Gods gift........

As I am in Nairobi I can't help with the ride, but I applaud the effort and wish you all the best. So often, the media focuses on light aviation in general, and experimental amateur built aircraft in particular, only when there is an accident. I would be great to get positive coverage in the mainstream media. I suggest that you also join and post your request over at www.homebuiltairplanes.com which quite a large and active group. In the meantime, I will share your request over there as well. Good luck and safe travels, Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I'm not sure about the title yet. I was thinking "Winging it" or something along those lines. I'm still tossing some ideas around. Thanks for the advice..I'll check out that site!

“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.” - Kerouac

I am in Aspen, Colorado and while I can't help you out in a Southern state, I would be glad to give you a flight when and if you are in our area, and need to get to the next state.

I used to live in a Southern state, Texas, and the main advice I'd give is the football and Bar B Q are good and mostly the politics are reprehensible to most decent folks. There are some nice people down there who can even read and write, but for the most part they are not the ones in charge.

You can certainly find some mad people there, they seem to get up every morning mad at someone.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-17-2013 at 11:52 AM.

If you are in the vicinity of south-central Pennaylvania in Mid-June, you might try the 24th Annual Father's Day Fly In at Shreveport North (62PA) near Wellsville, Pennsylvania. A well maintained private grass strip owned by John Shreve adjacent to the Footlight Ranch (an old Dinner Theater that still operates the restaurant and swimming pool also owned by John), Shreveport North has been a Mecca for pilots of all type of flying machines - Twin Engine, Single engine, rotorcraft, ultralight, trike and powered parachute to name a few, from as far south as South Caroiline, as far north as Alaska and as far west as Indiana for 24 years. You'd get to eat some good food, meet some unique and interesting folks, and see and expereince some unique airplanes. I'd be happy to give you a ride in a 1939 Aeronca 65LA to any airport within two hours flight time of Shreveport North.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Well, after a really windy flight & flat tire on the landing I made it to Baton Rouge! I also had an opportunity to spend a night in an old plantation home B&B. I was the only guest and there was a crazy storm around midnight so I sat on the rocking chairs on the porch and watched the rain pour down as thunder and lighting cracked & lit up the sky. It was a little creepy, but awesome! I'm heading to Mississippi next!

It is a big celebration time now in Mississippi. They have just ratified the 13th Amendment, the one that ended slavery in the US. It was passed by Congress back in 1865, but not by Miss till '95. That's 1995,not 1895, they are a little slow on some things down there. Miss never got around to doing the paperwork to finalize the ratifiction until 10 days ago, but as of Feb. 7, 2013 slavery is illegal everywhere in the U S, even including Miss.

I didn't make this up, my imagination wouldn't go that far.

And I forgot to mention one other good thing in the South, is country music.

And if you really want to see some slavery these days, pity the poor guy who got one of those "quick and easy" loans or a variable mortgage that escalates every year.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-20-2013 at 12:35 PM.

I would also suggest posting on vansairforce.com. With the sheer number of RVs there are, your odds should improve finding a ride in any part of the country.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Banned
    That's beyond incredible! The slogan for the Official Mississippi Tourism Dept. is "Find Your True South". Should be changed to "Find Our Paperwork".

This would make for a great SNL skit.