Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forced landing video

Carb ice can form under a wide range of temps. Also, I looked up the weather at that airport at the time. The dewpoint spread was only
    2 degrees.

The dewpoint spread is the key, and a 2 degree spread is very conducive to carb ice anywhere from zero to 70 degrees or so. I was in a C-119G as a loadmaster in the USAF and we experienced carb ice on climb-out from Goose Bay. This was mid-October with temps in the teens, but remember Goose AFB is on the coast with lots of moisture present. The Pilot followed the check-list and we were able to "burn" out the ice with out
    any deviation from our flight plan. Sure were lots of trees and no open fields, the C-119 is not a good glider or flyer on one engine, but USAF training paid off. The temps on the ramp that day were low 20's.

Joe

Anybody else notice he didn't use any flaps? Looked like there were plenty of roads around there. I probably would have tried for one and if there was power lines then sidestep onto the snow covered field. Don

Roads do look like runways....but....in most cases .... they're NOT !
    Of course open fields do look more inviting to those of us who are used to landing on turf....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

"The NTSB report says, "the pilot and his four passengers". That makes 5 people in what I think is a four passenger plane."

One of the passengers was the little baby.

i've got about 40 off field landings in gliders and only one has been on a road and that was only because it was the most perfect road in the world and all the fields were muddy. perfect like a solid mile with no power lines no sign posts no mail boxes and no cars. And i was still ready to slide over into the muddy field at the last second.

Stall warning upon landing means the lowest possible speed. I never heard the horn.

Up here in flyover country (Minnesota) I always think a lake would be a good landing spot at this time of the year. Didn't see any lakes there, though. I fly an RV. A muddy field with nosegear is certainly an invitation for a quick stop and a noseover. I've always been taught that the longer you can make the "crash" last (dissipating energy), the better your survival chances. If I land a fixed gear tri-gear in a muddy field, I'm going to stop. Right away. But, yeah, I wrestle with this... pick a road stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    The dewpoint spread is the key, and a 2 degree spread is very conducive to carb ice anywhere from zero to 70 degrees or so. I was in a C-119G as a loadmaster in the USAF and we experienced carb ice on climb-out from Goose Bay. This was mid-October with temps in the teens, but remember Goose AFB is on the coast with lots of moisture present. The Pilot followed the check-list and we were able to "burn" out the ice with out
    any deviation from our flight plan. Sure were lots of trees and no open fields, the C-119 is not a good glider or flyer on one engine, but USAF training paid off. The temps on the ramp that day were low 20's.

Joe
    Hello from a fellow USAF loadmaster C-130As,Bs &Es 1965-1969. No worry about carb ice on a tuboprop, just lead deposits in Vietnam.

Hey All, New to EAA. Wanted to say hi and I am glad (and hope forever in the future!) that I do not have an unfortunate videos stuck on youtube for others to comment on! Man, talk about critics! I am proud the guy got everyone down safely!