Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Requirement Update

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    Now you want them to be able to jump in a 200 knot Cirrus or 160 knot Bonanza? No thanks. I don't want to share the skies with these people that aren't mentally up to flying the aircraft.
    Unless they built some Cirri with 180hp up front, or some straight legged Bonanzas that I am unaware of, no one is suggesting they jump in one. And as long as there are pilots with more money than skill and brains, Cirri will continue to float to the ground under canopy because Dr. Whatshisname got in over his head. Bonanzas, Skyhawks and 152's, along with every other type, will crash and make the local news. Honestly, how many accidents a year are caused by medical incapacitation? Even with First Class Medicals, we see stories about an airline pilot dying in the cockpit from of a heart attack. The medical, as it applies to non-professional flying, is totally pointless. If people arent "mentally up to flying the aircraft", their instructor needs to let them know, and not sign off on their flight review.

Honestly, how many accidents a year are caused by medical incapacitation?
    Conclusively and without any chance that it is not due to other reasons? Probably few enough to count on both hands. Then you get into the "well, the pilot might have been altered because of unreported use of prohibited medication" which is arguable because the FAA seems to view nearly every OTC medication as "potentially hazardous".
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wagner View Post
    Unless they built some Cirri with 180hp up front, or some straight legged Bonanzas that I am unaware of, no one is suggesting they jump in one.
    Because I know how this game works. Just like the 1320 pound limit on LSA that everyone seems to want to increase. You get a foot in the door and then you keep pushing.

Quite simply, as someone who flies for my livelihood, I don't want anyone in the air without a medical, it wouldn't hurt my feels to see sport pilot go away.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    Quite simply, as someone who flies for my livelihood, I don't want anyone in the air without a medical, it wouldn't hurt my feels to see sport pilot go away.
    Hmmm, I thought EAA and this forum was about, for and dedicated to sport aviation.
    If all sport pilots went away, as you suggest, chances are good that many of the airports you use will go away.
    Sport pilot is limited to 10,000 feet. Can't you get above 10,000 in controlled airspace anyway?

I am always saddened when I see a participant in an activity make an elitist statement that boils down to "No one should be allowed to participate unless they are as talented and experienced as I!"

There is ALWAYS someone out there more talented and experienced ready willing and able to advocate that YOU don't measure up.

There are Baron drivers who would have the Cessna drivers get out of their way. King Air drivers who would have the tower have all of the Baron's hold while they are on the ILS. Gulfstream drivers who would have all of the airplanes burdened with mere propellers be diverted on their behalf. And there are lots of military generals who think that civilians are running amok and a lot more restricted airspace is in order.

STOP IT!

Benjamin Franklin of all people once said "if we do not hang together, we will all hang separately."

If you have not noticed, aviation is NOT thriving. And working to reduce the pilot population rather than getting out of your smug chair and putting in some time helping all of those great unwashed be smarter and safer pilots is just helping our activity die faster. It is up to you to make something positive happen. I can tell you that putting on a fake smile instead of screaming while you explain how a pilot that you just wished you had not just met did a dumb thing is hard work. But most pilots are not malicious, just uneducated and it is in all of our best interests to increase their knowledge level. And no we did not volunteer, Mother Nature drafted us. Comes with the territory. Get over it.

My $0.02.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    I am always saddened when I see a participant in an activity make an elitist statement that boils down to "No one should be allowed to participate unless they are as talented and experienced as I!"

There is ALWAYS someone out there more talented and experienced ready willing and able to advocate that YOU don't measure up.

There are Baron drivers who would have the Cessna drivers get out of their way. King Air drivers who would have the tower have all of the Baron's hold while they are on the ILS. Gulfstream drivers who would have all of the airplanes burdened with mere propellers be diverted on their behalf. And there are lots of military generals who think that civilians are running amok and a lot more restricted airspace is in order.

STOP IT!

Benjamin Franklin of all people once said "if we do not hang together, we will all hang separately."

If you have not noticed, aviation is NOT thriving. And working to reduce the pilot population rather than getting out of your smug chair and putting in some time helping all of those great unwashed be smarter and safer pilots is just helping our activity die faster. It is up to you to make something positive happen. I can tell you that putting on a fake smile instead of screaming while you explain how a pilot that you just wished you had not just met did a dumb thing is hard work. But most pilots are not malicious, just uneducated and it is in all of our best interests to increase their knowledge level. And no we did not volunteer, Mother Nature drafted us. Comes with the territory. Get over it.

My $0.02.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS
    As someone who has spent the last 27 years "flying for food", I cannot agree more with Wes. KCCessnaDriver's viewpoint is sad, very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by wacoc8 View Post
    As someone who has spent the last 27 years "flying for food", I cannot agree more with Wes. KCCessnaDriver's viewpoint is sad, very sad.
    x 3...I have heard other elitist's say similar nonsense...my favorite was an old flight instructor buddy who said he would never support the 3rd class no medical because the medical card necessity made him "special"...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post

STOP IT!

My $0.02.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS
    Well, that about says it all!!

David

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Very well stated, Wes. Unfortunately, I see KSCessnadriver doesn't mesh any better here than on other aviation boards. Too bad.
    Last edited by JimRice85; 02-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Hmmm, I thought EAA and this forum was about, for and dedicated to sport aviation.
    If all sport pilots went away, as you suggest, chances are good that many of the airports you use will go away.
    Sport pilot is limited to 10,000 feet. Can't you get above 10,000 in controlled airspace anyway?
    I have zero problem with people flying for sport. I'm saying that I have a problem with a big chunk of people I've seen fly with no medical. Some of them, IMO, have no business behind the wheel of a car, let alone behind the controls of an aircraft. Because the first time one of these guys hits something and makes the news, the outcry from the public is going to push us further into irrelevancy. I'm a firm believer in self-regulation for self-preservation.

But hey, its my opinion only. Not likely to be popular here, but that's what I think.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES