Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Medical Requirement Update

KSCessnaDriver

I'm a firm believer in self-regulation for self-preservation.
    From your posts it would appear to me that you are more opposed to 'self regulation' and more in favor of 'government regulation', since you appear to be opposed to the self certification of medical fitness by pilots of small aircraft.... just saying... Your concern about how the press will react when they find out a pilot did not possess a medical is probably the same reaction they have had for a long time when they find out the pilot was flying without 'filing a flight plan'.... horrorstruck, but having no effect at all on the way the world runs...
    In reality - a medical exam is a poor predictor of any pilot's ability to keep from making smoking holes in the ground....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

You are welcome to your opinion. This forum and its host are inclusive, not exclusive. We all like that.

But you and we should all recognize as adults that some opinions make you part of the problem rather than part of the solution. The world will be better off if we all try to apply our smarts and creativity to be part of the solution.

Thanks,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    In reality - a medical exam is a poor predictor of any pilot's ability to keep from making smoking holes in the ground....
    No, but it eliminates people who have serious mental problems, which are likely to be ones who do things to hurt GA with an airplane.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    You are welcome to your opinion. This forum and its host are inclusive, not exclusive. We all like that.

But you and we should all recognize as adults that some opinions make you part of the problem rather than part of the solution. The world will be better off if we all try to apply our smarts and creativity to be part of the solution.

Thanks,

Wes
    N78PS
    So basically, you're saying, your entitled to your opinion, unless it doesn't fit what other people think, then in that case, piss off?
    KSCessnaDriver
    Private SES

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    KSCessnaDriver

... Your concern about how the press will react when they find out a pilot did not possess a medical is probably the same reaction they have had for a long time when they find out the pilot was flying without 'filing a flight plan'.... horrorstruck, but having no effect at all on the way the world runs...
    I wonder if a very large portion of the non-flying public even realizes a medical certificate is required for private pilots? While the media refrain 'he/she didn't file a flight plan' is frequently seen in news reports of airplane accidents, I don't ever recall the mention of a lack, or presence of current medical certification.

Don

"it eliminates people who have serious mental problems"

It absolutely does not. The AME's are not trained mental health professionals and no part of the 3rd class exam examines mental health.

And the act of congress in the Bob Hoover case effectively stomped on the FAA adding mental health to the AME's process.

The news media folks generally know nothing about recreational aviation. They grab official looking phrases like "Flight Plan" that are listed on accident report summaries and try to sound knowledgeable. As noted above, an uninformed talking head on the news will almost always sensationalize an aviation related report, for good or bad. If I take a reporter up and do one roll, I am a famous test pilot. If someone bends an airplane, no matter what the reason, it will either be described as gross incompetence or hugely heroic depending on if if anyone is injured. It sells advertizing. If you are going to limit your behavior based on what the dumbest person in the room thinks, plan for a very dull life.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS
    Last edited by WLIU; 02-17-2013 at 02:12 PM.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    At 24 years old, KSCessnadriver is just smarter than everyone else.

I'm sure still doesn't yet fully realize his parents are the complete idiots he once thought either. That's okay. They will get smarter as he ages.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Guys - debate the ideas, not your opinions about the people who present them. This thread has gone over the line - let's bring it back.

Some are in favor of the exemption, some opposed, some think it's feasible, some don't. THAT'S a good discussion to have.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

[QUOTE=kscessnadriver;27519
    Quite simply, as someone who flies for my livelihood, I don't want anyone in the air without a medical, it wouldn't hurt my feels to see sport pilot go away.[/QUOTE]

Does that include glider and balloon pilots?

Ok, earlier I assumed your concern as a pro pilot was all these non-pro pilots in "your" airspace creating a perceived increased collision hazard to you.
    Was that an incorrect assumption ?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-17-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Does that include glider and balloon pilots?

Ok, earlier I assumed your concern as a pro pilot was all these non-pro pilots in "your" airspace creating a perceived increased collision hazard to you.
    Was that an incorrect assumption ?
    My post was mainly aimed at powered pilots. I've got no issues with either gliders and balloons being unregulated when it comes to medical certification.

But it's very clear to me that this issue isn't one that people want to have a discussion from both sides on. They want their opinion to be the law of the land and organization, and to hell with the other guy.
    Last edited by kscessnadriver; 02-17-2013 at 09:18 PM.
    KSCessnaDriver
    Private SES