Thread: 2013 Movie lineup

2013 Movie lineup

I'm not overly enthusiastic about the movie schedule for this year. Two James Bond movies? Neither aviation based, just a few scenes of flying. The only two I'm looking forward too are Disney's Planes and even though I've seen it several times, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. I guess I'll skip the free Popcorn Sunday through Thursday unless Tuesdays Special presentation TBA is worth it.

Dave in Missouri

Oh, man, I'm not excited either! Why James Bond films? They usually have SOME airplanes in them, but they're NOT aviation movies. Neither are Iron Man and The Avengers. Why not show some aviation classics (even if they've been shown before) like Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, The Right Stuff, and Airplane?

I was worried that a trip I'm interested in taking, that would require me to leave Oshkosh on Wednesday instead of staying the entire week as I usually do, would cause me to miss some good movies. Guess that worry is over.

The good part of the James Bond movie is that you can see the Acrostar/BD5 aircraft in the first 5 minutes of the movie, and then leave to do something more enjoyable.

Showing the same old classic movies every year would get pretty stale, but I do think the first couple of years when they showed old news reels and cartoons before a true classic aviation movie were the best. Not surprisingly, when they let the members decide a "viewer's choice" movie in 2008, all the movies in the list were "flying" movies.

If we've run out of good flying movies to watch, another idea would be to see if GoPro, NFlightcam, etc would sponsor a night of aircraft based footage. I imagine 45-60 mins of clips could be watchable without being too boring if you included YouTube clips, Red Bull Racing clips, and some WWII footage. If that would take too much effort or would end up being too boring for most, maybe just the top 10 clips from the year. One or two could be shown each night before the movies, counting down to the best clip(s) shown on Saturday night.

Except there are lot more than six or seven good aviation movies, so they wouldn't be showing the same ones every year. Especially if on some nights they showed things you suggested like newsreels, flying clips, etc. on one or more movie nights...oh well.