Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
Is coffee legal on airlines, even for the pilots?
Remember the movie where the crash was reconstructed and the very astute and savvy pilot leading the investigation, played by Glen Ford, was able, with the help of the surviving head stewardess, that the cup of hot coffee that she served to the pilot had been set down on the autopilot console and spilled into the autopilot causing it the malfunction and fly the plane into the ground.
But coffee is not banned.
No, it is not banned you are correct. What is "banned" is setting open beverages on the pedestal, I along with many other 121 pilots have caught he!! for setting a coffee or soda or even an open bottle of water on there where all those important electrons are running around. I'm sure Chris has seen the same thing.

I fly freighters for a living, boarding the 747 in our main hub I noticed the floor inside the L1 door was very wet with deicing fluid. Right behind me on the steps were mechanics and they proceeded to open the E&E bay to "dry it out" because ground support had deiced the airplane with ALL the doors open. Luckily it had only filled the drip tray, but if that wasn't emptied it would have poured on the avionics when we rotated. It doesn't have to be electronic to interfere.