Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground transportation - folding bicycle - electric scooters

Quote Originally Posted by iflyprops View Post
    I wouldn't put anything gas powered in my airplane simply from a hazmat standpoint...
    A few years ago, a Cessna 182 burned up when a Weed Wacker tipped over and spilled fuel. Luckily, it happened during taxi so the pilot was able to jump out! People often forget that batteries can be just as dangerous. A small puncture and exposure to air is enough to cause many batteries to burn aggressively. People need to take reasonable precaution when hauling scooters and such. In addition to fire safety, they also need to be properly secured during a 10g emergency landing condition.

I have several layers of redundant fuel protection when I carry my motorcycle: 1) The motorcycle has been extensively modified to prevent fuel spills. 2) If fuel were to escape past multiple check valves, it would be captured by a backup catch can. 3) The entire upper surface of the motorcycle loading system forms a sealed spill pan which is covered with enough fuel absorbent material to contain 110% of the motorcycle liquids. At this point, I'm far more concerned about the fuel tank in my lap when flying older airplanes.

CFR 175 contains hazmat rules. Most of the regulations apply to goods in commerce and not to personal flights. However, even when they aren't legally applicable, the rules still contain excellent safety advice for anyone thinking about carrying a gas or electric vehicle.

Great post. This is the biggest problem I have had with my plane-hitchhiking project...getting to and from the airports and around town. Is there any type of folding bicycle that is very light weight? I have a backpackers bag and that's it...so I'm trying to find something really compact. I don't know if this exists..

Ron and Rick, were you able to register your DiBlasi scooters? The factory never gave me a clear answer.

My neighbor has a CT-70. It rides rather nicely and it is great around the airport but I'm told that it isn't fun to load/unload from an airplane. Someone sent me the following pictures. They remove the front seats to enter/exit through the main door. The wing is protected with plywood and carpet. The engine is covered with plastic. The front wheel and fender are removed and later assembled on a milk crate. The wife is bribed with an expensive spa day and talked into putting on work gloves and crawling through the baggage door.

Name:  DSC04456.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  39.4 KB Name:  DSC04460.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  50.8 KB Name:  DSC04462.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  63.9 KB

With enough effort, a motorcycle can be loaded into almost any kind of airplane but such a feat of strength is rarely performed. I've spent the last few years trying to make this task convenient enough for every-day use. Now a child can remove a motorcycle and prepare it for riding in two minutes... a full-size motorcycle with highway performance for two adults. It is my goal to provide adventurous pilots with more places to go and unlimited things to do; to make concerts, conventions and beaches just accessible as fly-in restaurants; to make door-to-door travel seamless and to eliminate reservations, paperwork and third-party hassles. From my own experience, I can tell you that the integration of air + ground transportation can fundamentally change the way you use your airplane. If you would like to learn more about my vision and work, there is an excellent article in this month's Piper Owner Magazine: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/b805b2fd/38

Name:  DSC00209E_zpsb68e7ab2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  81.9 KB
    Last edited by SBaircraft; 02-17-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jethikinggypsy View Post
    Great post. This is the biggest problem I have had with my plane-hitchhiking project...getting to and from the airports and around town. Is there any type of folding bicycle that is very light weight? I have a backpackers bag and that's it...so I'm trying to find something really compact. I don't know if this exists..
    It looks like both Amazon and REI have folding bikes available. I'm not sure about the size and weight on those. It seems like I saw a conversion kit somewhere to convert a conventional bike to a folding bike.

If you make it up here to Fairbanks, there's some bikes parked at the fly-in campground at the airport which are available to borrow....Louis

Here is an electric scooter that might fit the bill, albeit short range (under 15 miles)

http://www.amazon.com/Currie-Technol...ectric+scooter

And a folding electric bike. (When the batteries empty)

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclamatic-Bic...ectric+bibikes gone

anyone have any experience with either?

Quote Originally Posted by SBaircraft View Post
    Ron and Rick, were you able to register your DiBlasi scooters? The factory never gave me a clear answer.

My neighbor has a CT-70. It rides rather nicely and it is great around the airport but I'm told that it isn't fun to load/unload from an airplane. Someone sent me the following pictures. They remove the front seats to enter/exit through the main door. The wing is protected with plywood and carpet. The engine is covered with plastic. The front wheel and fender are removed and later assembled on a milk crate. The wife is bribed with an expensive spa day and talked into putting on work gloves and crawling through the baggage door.

Name:  DSC04456.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  39.4 KB Name:  DSC04460.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  50.8 KB Name:  DSC04462.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  63.9 KB

With enough effort, a motorcycle can be loaded into almost any kind of airplane but such a feat of strength is rarely performed. I've spent the last few years trying to make this task convenient enough for every-day use. Now a child can remove a motorcycle and prepare it for riding in two minutes... a full-size motorcycle with highway performance for two adults. It is my goal to provide adventurous pilots with more places to go and unlimited things to do; to make concerts, conventions and beaches just accessible as fly-in restaurants; to make door-to-door travel seamless and to eliminate reservations, paperwork and third-party hassles. From my own experience, I can tell you that the integration of air + ground transportation can fundamentally change the way you use your airplane. If you would like to learn more about my vision and work, there is an excellent article in this month's Piper Owner Magazine: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...d#/b805b2fd/38

Name:  DSC00209E_zpsb68e7ab2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  81.9 KB
    Both my DiBlasi's are registered as mopeds in Michigan. I just took the bill of sale in for each bike, they ran the derial numbers to make sure they were not stolen at some time in their life and sold me the registrations...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by jethikinggypsy View Post
    They can be a bit pricey, but they have a good rep from what I hear.

http://www.montaguebikes.com/
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.