Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground transportation - folding bicycle - electric scooters

Ground transportation - folding bicycle - electric scooters

Anyone using one of the small electric/gas scooters for ground transportation? Sometimes I feel the need to explore and a courtesy car is not available. I was thinking of something with a range of around 5 miles that could fit in a small plane (e.g. my C-140A). I am aware of the folding bicycle route but I get enough exercise in the gym. . . flying is for fun, not work.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

This is how I get around:

Unfortunately, the US does not have a uniform code for electric bicycles and scooters. They are illegal in many/most places and each town has different laws. Therefore, I would recommend sticking with a good old folding bicycle for your Cessna 140. They make some really nice ones, especially if you have room for full-size wheels.

Take a look at:

http://www.motorcyclepilot.com/

Obviously, you'll need to have one of the airframe's they support. They usually have their RV-10 on display at Airventure.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

While stand-up scooter rules vary widely across the USA, moped rules are pretty consistent. As far as I know, the lightest moped you can get is the Solex, which is truly a motorized bicycle and weighs about 70 lbs. You might also want to check out some of the newer electric motorized bicycles.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Bob, I just visited your builder log. It looks like you are just about ready to fly! Will we see your airplane at Airventure this year?

Unfortunately, “moped” is not defined or recognized at the federal level. The moped classification is regulated at the state and local levels. Mopeds are therefore regulated a little differently across the country and some places don’t even have a moped category at all.

The regulations are a long read but I’ll try to summarize them. At the federal level, the NHTS defines all such vehicles with less than 5hp as “motor driven cycles.” Motor driven cycles can belong to the following categories:

“Motor Vehicles” - Motor driven cycles with more than 1hp or that are capable of a maximum speed above 20mph. These have a VIN number and NHTSA safety equipment. You can register them at your local DMV and receive a license plate. This is street legal at the federal level and it is the only way to get reliable access to public roads everywhere.

“Off Road Vehicles” – More than 1hp or 20mph but do not have VIN numbers or meet NHTSA requirements. Their use on public roads is regulated by each state and individual cities and local jurisdictions may have additional regulations. In general, these are fine to use on personal property and designated off road vehicle areas. A few places allow them on roads.

“Low Speed Vehicles” include motor driven cycles with less than 1hp and a maximum speed of less than 20mph. These are exempt from federal DOT and NHTSA regulations. Again, access to public roads is determined by each state, city and local jurisdiction.

As the electric bicycle market matures, I imagine that we’ll eventually see the creation of a new vehicle category at the federal level. Until then, I would stick with a folding bicycle or find something with a license plate… don’t mess with Mr. In Between.

I have a pair of the Diblasi 50cc folding scooters. We used them a couple of times (once in St. Simons and once at Oshkosh) but decided they were more trouble than they were worth.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I have a pair of the Diblasi 50cc folding scooters. We used them a couple of times (once in St. Simons and once at Oshkosh) but decided they were more trouble than they were worth.
    ...DiBlasi...and I thought I was the only one at with a DiBlasi...I actually have two but only one is reliable enough to take camping or to Oshkosh.... thanks for the reminder...misery loves company...I take one DiBlasi and a Honda CT 70 along with me when we haul the fifth wheel to Oshkosh..works so far

Regards

How about a Segway or a Robstep? I am not affiliated with either company.

Looks like they both go 20mph, 12 miles distance on a charge.

Segway is 100lbs, $7k.
    Robin is 40lbs, $3k.

http://m.youtube.com/user/RobStepUSA

I wouldn't put anything gas powered in my airplane simply from a hazmat standpoint... Plus I don't want my interior smelling like gas/oil. Stick with a bike.

Here's something you might want to look at. I've been tempted to get one, but I'd like to see it in person first.

http://www.scooterman.co.uk/bikes_index.html
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.