Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't we "let go?"

Great post Carl. Thanks for the insight.
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Gday Chaps,I think that we all have things from the past that bring back memories that are dear to us.A few years ago my brothers had a rather large hanger at Jandakot airport in Perth WA. there were aircraft parked in there that had been there for a while and some not used in a longer while.One was a rather beaten up old 185 Cessna taildragger,it looked a little forlorn and woebegone but every time I saw it the more I liked it.It had the look of a life well spent so every time I was there I would pump the tyres and blow the dust off.One day I thought to myself that it would be fun to fly so got hold of the owner and asked if they wanted to sell.The owner was an older lady who said that she and her family had used it to get around in their missionary work in New Guinea and she didn't want to sell even though she or her family would probably never fly it again.As it was a few years later the hanger was sold and the 185 was sold.These things become almost part of the family and as such they become precious. Cheers Ross

I am a lifelong boater and have more recently ventured into thinner fluids. We boaters have a similar affliction when it comes to our water ladies. For the same reasons as the dusty hangar queens, boats sit sun rotting, covered in bird droppings, generations of barnacles while racking up amazing annual fees.

It is indeed the magic carpet on air or water that transported its passengers to far flung adventure, of intimate connections with the amazing world we live in and the hope of more to come. They sit, in our mind only , ready to take us on another adventure. We just have to arrive, willing to go.

There is a boat, right next to mine, a mid 1970s Catalina 27. It had 1988 registration stickers when I first saw it (2006) but the marina got more official and requested current registration to be displayed – It has been current since. There is also required insurance. The sail covers have turned to dust with faded strips of red holding fasteners together, underlying sails had also disintegrated into a moldy gray and black mass, the cockpit, drains plugged for years, allowing whatever crop is being planted in adjacent fields to grow, it is lush and green in spring but browns like the surrounding hillsides by early summer. The hull has inches thick green ”moss” locking it into near permanent restraint. In an attempt to clear the drains a marina staff nearly fell through the cockpit sole – wet rot had rendered the entire under glass plywood area useless. The owner has paid for slippage and insurance for nearly 30 years – he has rarely seen the boat during that time. The real value of the boat – some minor equipment salvage and the lead in her keel – nothing more. Clearly to the owner - priceless.
    An update to this boat story - the boat had been for sale for $12K for the last few years. It just sold for $1 to another person who has 5 Catalina 27s all in similar condition and similar fate. Sometimes "bargains" are not a bargain at all but another anchor. Just like our planes.
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 02-02-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: story update

After seeing the seemingly abandoned airplanes sitting around with their owners unwilling to sell, I made myself a promise years ago. I promised myself that when it came time to stop flying that I would do so with as much grace as I could muster. Now I find myself at that crossroad. My beloved Pacer has sat in it's hanger for the past five years, un-flown and gathering dust. I have finally made the decision to let it go so that maybe some other intrepid aviator could find some joy from it as I have for the last 30 years. It has been a privilege and a joy to own and fly 76D.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmc31 View Post
    After seeing the seemingly abandoned airplanes sitting around with their owners unwilling to sell, I made myself a promise years ago. I promised myself that when it came time to stop flying that I would do so with as much grace as I could muster. Now I find myself at that crossroad. My beloved Pacer has sat in it's hanger for the past five years, un-flown and gathering dust. I have finally made the decision to let it go so that maybe some other intrepid aviator could find some joy from it as I have for the last 30 years. It has been a privilege and a joy to own and fly 76D.

Tim
    Thank you.

It's not the airplane, it's the memories that are dear.

And now another soul will have the chance to make the same for themselves.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc31 View Post

Tim
    I looked at a nice little Baby Ace a few weeks ago...the owner had passed 7-8 yrs ago and his family is paying rent on the bird sitting at a private field...It is now growing moss on the wings and back deck. Assume with moss on fabric, it would require a recover. Awaiting a call back to see if they even would sell the plane. According to the airport owner, they had an offer years ago on the plane, but the son did not want to sell it. Doubt it would pass inspection now....

I'm interested as I have friends who had Baby Aces and spoke highly of the flying characteristics of the airplane.....but I'm afraid of a moss-covered bird esp. one sitting in a t-hanger and the engine not even having been turned thru for 6-7 years. Salvage price is what I would offer. A friend who recently lost his medical has asked that I sell his Mong and his Monerais. and I am negotiating to buy his T-Craft. He does not want the birds to go downhill and he also does not want to stick his wife with the task of selling something she knows little about. He does not want to give up flying, but as time and circumstances befall us, sometimes there is no choice. My mother had to sell off my Dad's planes after his death. It was not easy.

Derswede

It's Not New

Based on my experience, this 'hanging onto things' is not a new phenomenon with the current generation. In the early 70's my flyin' buddy Jack (RIP) told me about a 7AC in a barn a few miles from the local grass strip. He knew the owner, so I convinced him to take me out there. We shot the breeze with the old gentleman (mid-70's, which was much older back then), and he showed us the fuselage sitting in a slatted corn crib, the tailwheel buried in muck. We then climbed into a hay loft where the wings and tail surfaces were located. He was happy for the company, but didn't want to sell the 7AC or a T-Cart he had in similar condition. The key was that he was 'happy for the company'. It took awhile, but further visits convinced him I was the one to take over guardianship of his treasure.

I could bore you with additional, but similar stores about a pre-war Aeronca (also in the 70's), a Warrior (in the 80's), and a Vagabond (in the 90's).

Note to younger enthusiasts....if you like my airplane, please respect that I do also, and I've liked it a lot longer than you have. Patience and persistence!

As always, YMMV!

Jim
    EAA #64315 (recently expired....the membership, not me!)

I purchased a 150 to learn to fly back in the 80s. When my wife was pregnant with our second child, I decided to sell my 150 since there was no way to get a family of four in it. We were also building our house at that time and I felt the money would be better spent on other things for the family. I remember the day the new owner came to pick up the airplane. Even though I knew it was the right thing to do, it just about killed me watching my plane disappear in the sky. I stood there following it until it was completely out of sight.

Fast forward to now. My kids are grown and gone. I have a four seater Cherokee that is perfect for my wife and I to fly around to visit family and make other fun trips. I have totally refurbished my Cherokee including major engine overhaul, new interior and new paint. I hope that I have another 10 to 15 years of flying left before I have to face giving it up. One of the big differences now versus when I sold my 150 is that back then I considered selling because of financial reasons and for the greater good of the family over my personal love for the plane. If I had to give up flying tomorrow, there would be no compelling financial reason to sell, so I'm sure there would be a lot less motivation to let it go even though I would not be able to be PIC. I probably would keep it and get other legal pilots to fly with me as long as I remained mobile enough to easily get in and out of the plane. I might not be able to fly solo but I would try to find other ways to keep flying.

I have already experienced the pain of parting with my 150 so many years ago. I remember it vividly to this day. I just hope the good Lord will allow me good health to enjoy flying for many years to come so I won't have to cross that bridge again any time in the near future. When I do finally have to face the reality of aging, I hope that I will have the wisdom to do the right thing, whatever that might be, at that time.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Poor old thing. The C-172, I mean.