Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't we "let go?"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why can't we "let go?"

I was going to post this under the thread, "The more things change...", but figured it would be too much of a hijack.

Anyway, when the topic turned to the thought of most county airports being closed in the next 20 years, I got to thinking about all of the aircraft that are still parked, waiting for the time when the owner will "get around to it."

As an example, in 2006, I was looking for a project. Something I could play with in my spare time, and perhaps end up with a viable airplane. If not, I was going to part it out.

I found a 172M at my airport, parked in a carport-style hangar, that hadn't moved in the 5 years I'd been passing it. I checked tne N-number, and contacted the owner. Nice gent, but it was obvious by his speech pattern that he was elderly. When I finally gently asked if he would consider selling it, he told me that, no, he was going to get it back in the air Real Soon Now. That was 2006; it's now 2013, and the airplane still sits there, at $150/month rent.

So, the gent has spent (at least) $12,600 paying rent for something that hasn't even been dusted off, yet he can't quite let go.

I can understand that; it's easy to equate that to someone who's had to give up driving, but keeps their car parked in their garage. At least they're not paying insurance or rent to keep it there.

The power of flight is just too powerful to sever the connection. Even if it costs us substantial money. Giving up that last connection is surrendering to the inevitable, I guess. Just strikes me as sad. I wonder what *I'll* do when that time comes...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl:

I'm probably closer to that point than you so I know what I'll do. Since I built the airplane, I want it to keep on flying. Hangar queens are so sad. So I'll sell the airplane to someone who'll fly it, and keep my pilot logbooks, photos and memories of all the good and bad times.
    Bill

Banned
    Same reason why it's difficult to disconnect from your long ago first real love relationship: The memory is too sweet, the connection is too deep and the realistic possibility(especially with the internet) that the hope of meeting could occur once again.

Imagine a string of swear words woven together so they make a beautiful tapestry of profanity as only a senior non-commissioned officer can weave, and one will get a large portion of my opinion on the matter.

At least the guy in the first post was somewhat honest about not wanting to let go with the idea of flying. I can't stand the whole "I can't get what I want for it" line of crap - when it's true that it's costing the ex-pilot thousands of dollars not to sell it....in one case, I figured out that one guy had spent twice his inflated asking price in hangar fees and taxes while griping that everyone was trying to rip him off!

I've had to put more than one pursuit aside due to age and injury...just let it go, already! When it comes my time to stop being PIC, I'll hang out at the airport and bum rides for whomever is just goofing off locally. Hell, I wish some of these guys would do just that - I'd love to have the insight of someone with long hours and the wisdom gained by close shaves. But most are just too proud for that.

But part of it is the whole Baby Boomer inability to grasp the reality of getting older. And in the interst of not offending those of that generation, I'll stop right there.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    But part of it is the whole Baby Boomer inability to grasp the reality of getting older. And in the interst of not offending those of that generation, I'll stop right there.
    We aren't getting older, we're getting better!

Ideas are always more powerful than reality. Failure to realize this fact causes more misunderstandings than almost anything else.

Great post Carl. Thanks for the insight.
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Gday Chaps,I think that we all have things from the past that bring back memories that are dear to us.A few years ago my brothers had a rather large hanger at Jandakot airport in Perth WA. there were aircraft parked in there that had been there for a while and some not used in a longer while.One was a rather beaten up old 185 Cessna taildragger,it looked a little forlorn and woebegone but every time I saw it the more I liked it.It had the look of a life well spent so every time I was there I would pump the tyres and blow the dust off.One day I thought to myself that it would be fun to fly so got hold of the owner and asked if they wanted to sell.The owner was an older lady who said that she and her family had used it to get around in their missionary work in New Guinea and she didn't want to sell even though she or her family would probably never fly it again.As it was a few years later the hanger was sold and the 185 was sold.These things become almost part of the family and as such they become precious. Cheers Ross

I am a lifelong boater and have more recently ventured into thinner fluids. We boaters have a similar affliction when it comes to our water ladies. For the same reasons as the dusty hangar queens, boats sit sun rotting, covered in bird droppings, generations of barnacles while racking up amazing annual fees.

It is indeed the magic carpet on air or water that transported its passengers to far flung adventure, of intimate connections with the amazing world we live in and the hope of more to come. They sit, in our mind only , ready to take us on another adventure. We just have to arrive, willing to go.

There is a boat, right next to mine, a mid 1970s Catalina 27. It had 1988 registration stickers when I first saw it (2006) but the marina got more official and requested current registration to be displayed – It has been current since. There is also required insurance. The sail covers have turned to dust with faded strips of red holding fasteners together, underlying sails had also disintegrated into a moldy gray and black mass, the cockpit, drains plugged for years, allowing whatever crop is being planted in adjacent fields to grow, it is lush and green in spring but browns like the surrounding hillsides by early summer. The hull has inches thick green ”moss” locking it into near permanent restraint. In an attempt to clear the drains a marina staff nearly fell through the cockpit sole – wet rot had rendered the entire under glass plywood area useless. The owner has paid for slippage and insurance for nearly 30 years – he has rarely seen the boat during that time. The real value of the boat – some minor equipment salvage and the lead in her keel – nothing more. Clearly to the owner - priceless.
    An update to this boat story - the boat had been for sale for $12K for the last few years. It just sold for $1 to another person who has 5 Catalina 27s all in similar condition and similar fate. Sometimes "bargains" are not a bargain at all but another anchor. Just like our planes.
    Last edited by Jim Heffelfinger; 02-02-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: story update

After seeing the seemingly abandoned airplanes sitting around with their owners unwilling to sell, I made myself a promise years ago. I promised myself that when it came time to stop flying that I would do so with as much grace as I could muster. Now I find myself at that crossroad. My beloved Pacer has sat in it's hanger for the past five years, un-flown and gathering dust. I have finally made the decision to let it go so that maybe some other intrepid aviator could find some joy from it as I have for the last 30 years. It has been a privilege and a joy to own and fly 76D.

Tim