Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Panther

Building a Panther

Last month I started a thread to introduce you folks to Dan Weseman's Panther. I also started a Yahoo group to give those with an interest in the Panther a way to ask questions. Membership and participation hasn't been exactly stellar, so we're going to give it a try here. I'll introduce the 'we' shortly. For those of you not familiar with the Panther the quickest way to get up to speed would be to read Rachel Weseman's blog here. Three-view of the Panther here. Now to the 'we'. The Panther prototype is being built by Rachel and Dan Weseman at Haller Airpark, Green Cove Springs, FL. I included Rachel for a reason. Not only is she handling the business end of Sport Performance Aircraft, she's also up to her eyeballs in helping to build the prototype. This week, she's getting aquainted with tank sealant as she builds the prototype fuel tanks.

Now for the three beta builders. Bob Woolley, who is a neighbor of the Wesemans at Haller is building a sport wing version of the Panther with a Lycoming O-320 engine. Dick Fisher, who lives in Youngstown, OH, is building a tri-gear version with 120 hp, 3 liter Corvair. My name is Tony Spicer and I live in Wilmington, NC. I'm very fortunate to have a hangar at Stag Air Park, a 4000' grass strip 15 miles north of Wilmington. I'm building the LSA version that will also have a 120 hp Corvair.

This thread won't be a blow-by-blow of three beta Panthers being built. What Bob, Dick and I will try to do is hit the high points as we go along. Dick is using Kitlog to track his build. I have Picasa albums that will give you a good idea of what a Panther build entails. Bob? Well, Bob would rather spend his time in the shop. But he's promised to answer any questions thrown his way.

Back to the shop!

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Spicer; 04-21-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Tony I have been watching - great job! really looks like it will be a fun airplane

Those of you with sharp eyes may have noticed that the advertised fuel quantity is 20 gal, and that Bob Woolley is putting an O-320 in his Panther. Not much fuel for that much engine. I've been told that the 20 should have read 20-28 gal. The 28 was just a calculated number, which as it turns out, was very close to actual. I measured my first tank yesterday, and it held 13.7 gal of usable fuel. 27 gal will be plenty for the O-320, and a bladder-buster with the Corvair.

Tony

I am one of the Beta builders of Dan Weseman's Panther aircraft. Since I live on the same airport as Dan and have known him since he was a teenager and was keenly interested in his efforts with the Panther. When I was looking for a quick nimble airplane to compliment my big horsepower glasair, I wanted the RV 3. But at the time Vans was just bring the RV3 B out and I was looking to save money by picking up a used kit from someone. I talked to Vans and they advised me that there would be a 7-9 month lead time to get most of the big parts for the 3. They suggested that I build a 4. A used RV 4 kit was the way to go. Now 5 years later, the building bug has come back; I still wanted a quick nimble single place. Dan has done his homework on kit construction, strength and hopefully, fly ability. With Dick building the Trike, Tony the TD and my Lycoming powered TD, it will give Dan three additional platforms to prove his design.

Bob

My name is Chris Smith, and I am assisting SPA with their Panther project. I will be helping with the wiring on the Panther prototype and will assist with marketing and staffing shows. I built the "Son of Cleanex", a clone of the Corvair powered Sonex that Dan Wesemen built. I now have an RV-4, but will eventually sell that and build an O-320 Panther. I look forward contributing to this group and helping SPA become a powerhouse in the kit planes arena.
    Last edited by ccsmith51; 02-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Check out the intros on our blog for the three beta builders -
    Tony Spicer - http://bit.ly/UKh1z0
    Dick Fisher - http://bit.ly/V3PSVn
    Bob Woolley- http://bit.ly/VHuCqS

New prototype photo

This is what the Panther prototype looked like yesterday. Cheek cowl extensions to be added.

Tony

I am beginning the process of squeezing rivets for my wing spars. Check out the latest entry on my builders log at http://www.mykitlog.com/dickfisher

Outstanding work! I really appreciate bringing the highlights to this forum - it lets me focus in on the challenges and solutions y'all are coming up for them.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.