Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming of restoring a DC-3

Dreaming of restoring a DC-3

I've just located a DC-3 that my father once owned and flew for the charter business that he operated in the 50's and 60's. Apparently the left wing needs to be replaced. Additionally, the airplane was used in several movies in the past, and has been painted. How does one remove paint from an airframe and restore the old chromed appearance of a vintage aircraft? (The subject of the damage wing will be a whole seperate post after I convince the current owner to sell me the airplane).

We stripped L-39s with a 55 gallon barrel of really nasty stripper. It was so nasty it would eat skin all the way to the bone if left. Hard to leave as it stings like hell. Sure works good. Then you have to polish until you are blue in the face..... It's a really huge job on a small plane. On a DC-3 you'll need a lot of help.
    A restoration shop can probably tell you what and where to get the supplies. It's going to be sweet seeing it fly again.
    Good luck!

If I can use it for my type rating once it's back in the air, I'm more than willing to polish the hell out of it.

Wow, big project. You must have a lot of friends with time on their hands. Be sure to post pictures of your progress. Good luck.
    Allen Rice

Skybolt
    RV9A
    Pietenpol

Man, If you'd give me a place to stay and feed me, I'd help polish!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

There was a thread on the old (slow) forum that had some helpful advice for someone that wanted to polish a plane that had been previously painted. Click on the link below, go make yourself a cup of coffee, and by the time you're done, the page should have loaded...

http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_Disc...5&topicid=4768

I am with the others. If you have a patch of land that I can throw my tent together on, I'd help you in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    If I can use it for my type rating once it's back in the air, I'm more than willing to polish the hell out of it.
    I was thinking the same thing Steve!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Congratulations on your DC-3 restoration. Any parts you need are available from Basler Turbo Conversions in Oshkosh, WI for your DC-3. They restore them and hang turbine engines on them! They have used engines in stock, and I'll bet they have a wing for you. Ask for Tom. If you come you can stay at my place while they load up your parts! Don't count on me to do any polishing! Been there, done that, never again! (LOL)

Just to give you a rough idea on how much time you will need we just re-polished a DC-3. It took 10 guys a week to brighten up the finish. It also took 3 guys 3 weeks to strip and polish a set of cowling. When it was all said and done it was one of the most beautiful projects I've ever worked on. Good luck and enjoy. --Jon