Thread: University Thesis Project

Question University Thesis Project

Please see below a message I sent to Mr. Hal Bryan, any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I am an Industrial Design student at Auburn University (Alabama) as well as a professional designer in the cooking industry (Masterbuilt Manufacturing), my dad was a commercial pilot and I am currently working on my PPL, as well as, currently working on my Masters degree at Auburn, and I am trying to find some helpful information if you would be willing to give me any advice, or know anyone who could.

My project revolves around anything that can be customized in or out of the cockpit, without being a liability issue. (Wishful thinking I'm sure.) My dad and I are short, but his copilot was very tall. His suggestion was adjustable rudder pedals, throttle controls, or even something to help reach overhead control panels. Unfortunately all of those are high liability projects, so I am hopefully looking for something that would be less life threatening if it failed.
    To make it a little easier to understand, do you know of any items that pilots often wish they had, but it just cost too much to mass produce? This project would be similar to iPad's being introduced into the cockpit; At first it cost quite a bit and is not practical to make tooling on a concept, but now there are hundreds of mounts, but most are universal. My application must be customizable per application for my thesis to work correctly.
    Alternatively, are there any training tools that would work as well?
    Since this is the EAA I am sure there are a lot of ideas that members come up with, that they would like for their application.
    Any outreach or support on this project would be greatly appreciated, Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely,
    Adam Carter
    Auburn University | Industrial Design
    AuburnDesigner@gmail.com

P.S. - I can go more in depth if there is any interest or reply's, thank you.

How about external gimbal mounts or external mounts in general for photo/gopro/video?

At this time of the year, an efficient, easy to install and use pre-heater jumps to mind. Would be great if I could call it up on my phone and tell it to fire up while I'm eating breakfast and have the airplane warm by the time I get to the airport.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I would agree that external mounts could be useful. We are seeing back-up cameras in cars and trucks, how about night vision on some kind of turret type mount that a pilot could "point" from the cockpit?! Also small LED type spot lights might be helpful in keeping wing-tips clear on night taxi.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    At this time of the year, an efficient, easy to install and use pre-heater jumps to mind. Would be great if I could call it up on my phone and tell it to fire up while I'm eating breakfast and have the airplane warm by the time I get to the airport.
    A few months ago in KitPlanes, Jim Weir built such a box. Used a cellphone, but did not go inside the phone at all; used a small mic rubber-banded around the phone to pick up the rings. He also demo'd it at AirVenture 2012.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton