Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rogue Major Warbird Gathering Scheduled During Oshkosh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't collect enough money at the gate, it has all the makings of a spectacular train wreck. They have to fuel all of those planes! I'm glad it's not my problem. Look at the planes they have signed up, Nothing really great! Nor do they seem to have any real sponsors. Not that I wish them ill but I don't think they are going to get the attendance they need. Lots of things happen at Airventure on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and who can pass up the night Airshow! Also the Warbird banquet is on Saturday. I'll probably stay up again late on Saturday for the night airshow, wake up late and see a few friends and fly out before the Sunday airshow starts. I'm pretty airshowed out at the end of Oshkosh. I'll go by Topeka around 6:00 or 7:00 P.M. Sunday night on the way home. It probably wouldn't be a bad time to stop by there as the crowds will be gone. Maybe we could get some flat beer, stale sandwiches and free camping with some of the remaining pilots on the airfield. Maybe we could talk to the local EAA chapter in to having a late Sunday night pancake breakfast.
    Thanks for bringing it back on track.

I'm not worried but there is very good reason to be concerned. In business, if you ignore or don't pay attention to the competition(especially a new competitor), then that's called hubris and arrogance and you will be doomed to be overtaken by them. They're 6 months away, way too early to determine or conclude success or failure. I'll be scanning their site in the coming months for updates.

I'd like to go there after AV as well as we too fly back on Sunday(or Sat. if the forecast is better) but we have a non-stop haul of 4 hours almost due east over a couple of large Great Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Thanks for bringing it back on track.

I'm not worried but there is very good reason to be concerned. In business, if you ignore or don't pay attention to the competition(especially a new competitor), then that's called hubris and arrogance and you will be doomed to be overtaken by them. They're 6 months away, way too early to determine or conclude success or failure. I'll be scanning their site in the coming months for updates.

I'd like to go there after AV as well as we too fly back on Sunday(or Sat. if the forecast is better) but we have a non-stop haul of 4 hours almost due east over a couple of large Great Lakes.
    Like I said I wish them luck.. Maybe those guys in the DC-3's can get some flying time in. I put on a couple airshow events once and everything is fine while the sky is blue. However, it rained once and I about had a heart attack. Anyway, I sent them a Email about them hosting a mass fly-in of GA aircraft from Oshkosh departing before the Sun Airshow direct to Topeka. No way am I going to forgo the night Oshkosh airshow! I usally leave Oshkosh before Noon on Sunday Anyway. I also asked him if it was possible to keep the museum open late as well. I think it would be cool place to stop, No crowds, Food, Fellow Aviators, and a good nights rest before the long flight home. One of the guys sent me a Email back and they seemed receptive to the Idea. Personaly I think they should knock off Thursday, Friday, and add a Monday.

If you think about it Sun and fun isn't a destination but merly a stop for those heading to South Florida. I tried to look at some planes there but alot of them they blast off right after the Airshow and head for the Keys.
    Last edited by RV8505; 02-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Just my few cents:

1. Warbirds of America at AirVenture does a great job of making WB pilots feel special, no matter what warbird you fly (I fly an O-2). I appreciate it and it makes me want to come back.

2. There are over 300 warbirds that come to AirVenture (not all might truly be warbirds -- e.g., Navions painted up like L-17s) but it is a LOT

3. Most of them leave on Saturday. (My plane was REAL lonely on Sunday when we left.) So if things started on Saturday, there would be no noticeable loss at AirVenture

4. Those who already spent a week at AirVenture may not have the stamina for another few days elsewhere. (But what do I know?)

5. I am in favor of anything that gets the public more aware of aviation as a positive thing. Warbirds draw the crowds, allowing them to learn about all kinds of aviation. Planes are easier to move than crowds. (If you have any doubts, watch a 380 being loaded at Heathrow.) Oshkosh is great, but we need to bring the airplanes to where the people are.

6. That said, it is the opposite direction from where I want to go, and I will have been away from home long enough by then.