Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rogue Major Warbird Gathering Scheduled During Oshkosh

Banned

Rogue Major Warbird Gathering Scheduled During Oshkosh

Is somebody sending a loud message to AV? The organizers to provide slot holders with revenue sharing, subsidization of fuel costs plus free food, beer and wine!

Can't be an accident that it's scheduled Aug.1-4 although the organizers say they've been in communication with AV about the date early on in the planning stage.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._208107-1.html

From the organizers' website:

"WHY THESE DATES?

Due to the many conflicting industry conventions and Airshows during other times of the year, these dates (August 1 – 4 , 2013) represent the least schedule conflict, and the most opportunity for all. In addition, and strategically speaking, “the Gathering” could be used by those warbird operators in the western half of the United States that may want to attend Airventure 2013 and still make their return trips south and westward towards their home base at the end of that show in northern Wisconsin. For information purposes, Airventure starts early this year on Monday, July 29 – with emphasis on being there early. According to the EAA web site, all Airventure tickets purchased for Monday (the 29th) include free access to the grounds for Sunday the 28th. The gathering of Legends and Warbirds is in full support of Airventure and Mr. Jack Pelton, Chairman of Airventure 2013 (i.e. Oshkosh) who is not only a true pilot and aviation enthusiast, but also is a true friend to aviation and a Warbird supporter. Communication was established early on during the initial planning stages of the Topeka gathering, should these dates be out of line in any way. At this time of communication with Chairman Pelton he was invited to enter discussions regarding these convention dates, (AUG 1 – 4) We salute Mr. Pelton for his team thinking, leadership, and his form of input into this process and agree with him that these dates (August 1 – 4) will provide another great nationwide choice for pilots, owners, and aircraft history buffs not necessarily able to afford the expenses, or longevity of Airventure.

Additionally, others may find Topeka a more informal and less restrictive environment as an affordable refuge after attending an early arrival, setup, and mid-week departure from Airventure 2013, and would normally be completing a full fourth day on Wednesday at that convention. The organizers of the Gathering of Legends and Warbirds fully supports and endorses those operators who elect to choose to attend Airventure 2013 only, or possibly both, and wish them all Godspeed, tailwinds, and the fortune of additional options regarding their preferences. Those operators (That hold a valid slot award) that elect to participate in both could still depart Airventure after the airshow on Thursday and easily make the short flight non-stop to Topeka to be in time for free dinner on the ramp, free beer, and fuel at $2.00 per gallon. These dates seem to make a perfect match yielding the most options for each warbird operator."

If you don't think the warbirds have been disappearing towards the end of the week even without the offer of free beer you've not been paying attention the past few years.

How could this not impact the "Warbird Spectacular" shows on Friday and Saturday, which already are considerably less impressive than in former years? I know people seeing them for the first time love it, and I do too, but still there were fewer aircraft and there was less variety in 2012 than in previous years I've attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post

Is somebody sending a loud message to AV? The organizers to provide slot holders with revenue sharing, subsidization of fuel costs plus free food, beer and wine!

Can't be an accident that it's scheduled Aug.1-4 although the organizers say they've been in communication with AV about the date early on in the planning stage.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._208107-1.html

I don't blame them going for $2.00 per gallon gas and all the free stuff but if your one of the aircraft not being subsidized why would you want to go? I could see dropping by on the way home if you could get some of that $2.00 per gallon gas action. It all sounds well and good but what happens if it rains and or they don't get the take at the gate they are expecting. Somebody is going to be on the hook for a lot of gas.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    From the organizers' website:

"WHY THESE DATES?

Due to the many conflicting industry conventions and Airshows during other times of the year, these dates (August 1 – 4 , 2013) represent the least schedule conflict, and the most opportunity for all."
    This statement from this new Topeka warbird show site on "why these dates" doesn't pass the smell test. In an attempt to convince everyone(including Topeka and EAA) that there is no animosity between the inaugaral show and AV and that the kids are playing nicey nice in the sandbox, what is being sold here is smoke and mirrors.

This statement is simply not supported by the factual reality. At World Airshow News which lists every event for 2013 world-wide, there are only 2 US shows that dare conflict with AV: The Boeing Airshow way out in Seattle(Aug 2-4) and The Milwaukee Air & Water Show(Aug 3-4). These are general shows. To compare the more relevant apples to apples, i.e. Warbird centric conflicting shows, there simply is nothing. According to Warbirds & Airshows.com, the last show before this new Topeka one is July 12-14 & July 13-14(Geneseo Show in New York state & USAM Presents a Gathering of Eagles in Willoughby, Ohio respectively) and the next one is not until Sept 7( the Waukehan Show). Far from "many conflicting....Airshows..."

They can say what they want but there is another agenda at work and it seems much much clearer in reality. I wish the Topeka organizers were more honest about their motives. It would reflect what most already know here on this forum about "Why These Dates?"
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 02-04-2013 at 09:02 PM.

I can say that a quite awhile ago, late 80s, I went to an airshow at Topeka at Forbes Field and we were very well treated. They have a nice museum there and the people were friendly. It was standard airshow reimbursment for those times, not any short of a share the revenue plan. I recall a part of the museum was a display of a allied hut in a German pow camp.

If you are just looking for a warbird show, there are somethings that EAA lacks, but there is much more to Osh than that.
    If I couldn't go to Osh, I might plan on Kansas, or if it was on my way home, I might leave Osh Sat afternoon and have Sun at Kansas.
    I don't know Scott Glover, but he owns a C-47, so that is great.

But Osh is the only place I have been every year since I began.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-04-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Never did figure out what warbirds and home built aircraft have in common, other than being aircraft. Maybe something to ponder as EAA redefines its purpose and re-focuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_CYBW View Post
    Never did figure out what warbirds and home built aircraft have in common, other than being aircraft. Maybe something to ponder as EAA redefines its purpose and re-focuses.
    Because the general public isn't going to show up to Oshkosh without those warbirds flying. Face it, Joe Q Public couldn't care less about 16 RV-whatevers doing overhead breaks while wearing flight suits in military colors.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Marc, which would you like EAA to do without, all the warbirds or all the homebuilts?

I like the idea of EAA as a big tent.

Many warbird owners have another more mainstream gen av airplane also, and many homebuilt owners would like to have a B-17 or P-51.