Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey – Decline of Personal General Aviation

Survey – Decline of Personal General Aviation

Hello everyone, I am a fellow GA pilot and a graduate student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University working on my capstone project (aka thesis). I am conducting a survey of US certificated pilots (recreational / sport pilot or above) as part of my research into isolating the factors most responsible for the decline in personal/recreational general aviation flight activity during the last 15 years. I would greatly appreciate if you could take a few moments of your time to participate in the survey. The data you provide may assist in better understanding why PGA flight activity is in decline and lead to more focused efforts towards reversing the decline.

The survey is located at the following URL and will be open from 2 to 18 Feb 13.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/pgadecline2

Anyone interested in receiving a copy of the final paper or the research proposal can e-mail me at: timmonst@my.erau.edu

Thank you for your assistance,

Tim Timmons, COM AMEL, CFI
    EAA 874000

Done. Thanks for including us lowly Sport Pilots! The last one of these put out there excluded us, as the author didn't feel that we're real pilots who have an opinion that matters.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Completed today. Good luck with your paper.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Just completed it.

I just completed your survey and I wish there was a comment area to explain why I have so few hours in the last year/5 years. It's because I'm currently restoring my Champ and it's not flyable.

Banned
    Hi Tim,

I'm sure you're aware that the decline of personal GA is not just an american phenomenum but a world-wide slide. You state that your survey is for US certificated pilots. I'm Canadian but would not want to participate and possibly skew your results without asking permission first to fill it out. Would that be ok?

I bought my first plane when av-gas was $0.50 per gallon. Flew a lot. Hangars are a current problem and not asked on the survey. There is a TWO YEAR WAITING LIST in this area. Catch 22 is that you must first own a plane to get on the list.

Interesting survey Tim. I agree with other survey participants that a "comment" section would be helpful. Ultimately, I believe we have multiple issues associated with the decline in personal GA. First is demographic, but of equal importance is the role of government regulation and the very high level of expertise required to break into the activity. Equipment is expensive (a new aircraft, even a modest one) is 2 to 10 - or more - times the average income of the US population. No economies to scale exist, and because of regulatory issues it's unlikely there ever will be. Now, with UAS coming on line, I think a lot of people who might be recreational pilots will perhaps become UAS operators. With Google Earth a common feature on nearly everyone's machine, what's the thrill of flying? It looks the same on the screen as from the cockpit (to some), and it's a lot less scary. Why invest in recreational flying when for the same money (and zero effort) I can buy an RV (and that's not a Van's RV) and tootle around. No FAA medical, no recurrent training, operational costs aren't too different, and no annual maintenance by highly trained (and increasingly scarce) mechanics who face the same or greater obstacles as pilots if they want to get into the game. Two decades may be not seem like a long time before GA implodes, but I think that's an outside estimate.

Hangars are on the survey now. But ultralight pilots continue to fly under radar (ba-dump-sh). They do not log hours, legally speaking, so...

Took your survey and maybe the overall results of it will not surprise you. If you want to turn new ground, here's a suggestion. It is your generation that will witness the future of GA so perhaps a few questions which approach issues unique to prospective aviation enthusiasts would reveal a more contemporary perspective. Many of my daughter's friends do not care to drive, why would they want to fly? They will likely be less wealthy, more social and more concerned about their environment that their parents were. You are different in some very special ways. Ask your generation what it would take to make the cost and hassle of aviation compete with the many other compelling activities available to them. In the answer to those questions lies the future I think.
    The journey is the reward.