Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion On Chalets

I think we need to charge the guys that fly to Airventure in their expensive spam cans more than the pilots of home builts.
    Its only "fair" that those rich guys pay more !!!!
    Screw all those damn Bonanza pilots !!!!---make them park at Appleton.
    Kevin

I had the opportunity to be invited to a chalet on the evening of the main airshow. My observations where that everyone was focused on the airshow, once it got started. The guests were definately pilots or serious aviation enthusiasts. No, we weren't complaining about the noise, we were all enjoying the airshow.

I think the "chalet" concept was OK a few years back, but has gotten out of hand. It's like building skyscrapers in front of a beautiful mountain range. I understand the economics, but many of my friends have gotten tired of the "corporate" direction EAA took over the last years. I will say that this problem is far smaller than the problem caused by allowing people to drive into the camp ground and stake out 3 acres of territory for their RV, cycles, cars, bikes, and causing everyone else to camp out by Ripon!

I agree; the idea that one party can come and stake out space for other who are not present, and may not be on site for days is not fair. There is way too much of this...the camping area that has shade is gobbled up weeks before anyone appears...again, its not fair.

I've been to OSH seven times, flew 4, drove 3, and really doubt if I will attend again.

I don't focus on what the folks in the chalet are doing, rather what affect the chalet has on the EAA and other attendees at the show. If it makes us some good money and doesn't take too much space then I think is a net positive.

Kevin ,I think we ought to send all those jets( less perhaps a few cool ones like F-86 to Appleton) and it would smell better and be alot quieter at Oshkosh.

As for rich Bonanza owners, well I'd like to be one of them, and maybe I could get a new paint job for my 1988 Be 36TC, but I spent most of my money on other fun airplanes and don;t have much left.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-01-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Just to be clear regarding camping, all the areas that are staked out in the campground prior to AirVenture and even during are paid for the day the stakes are put in the ground through the end of the event, whether there is anybody staying at the campsite or not. The costs really add up for the folks who come early and stake out areas and don't use them until the week of AirVenture. Additionally, it's not like only a select few are allowed to do this - anybody can come here the day the campground opens and claim a good spot in the campground.

Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Just to be clear regarding camping, all the areas that are staked out in the campground prior to AirVenture and even during are paid for the day the stakes are put in the ground through the end of the event, whether there is anybody staying at the campsite or not. The costs really add up for the folks who come early and stake out areas and don't use them until the week of AirVenture. Additionally, it's not like only a select few are allowed to do this - anybody can come here the day the campground opens and claim a good spot in the campground.

Zack
    I'm not complaining. Any fool that wants to drop a couple grand in June to reserve a prime spot is more than welcomed. To be honest, I can't think of a more fair way to manage the sites at Camp Scholler.

Back to the thread subject of Chalet opinions.......
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

The Chalets didn't bother me as much as the "front of the flight line" speaker towers or the Luggage pavillion built in the middle of the Antique taxiway.

I'm with Post #12. I used the EAA chalet for 3 days and would not have survived the heat without it. Met a lot of great people, enjoyed the food and watched the air show. My only complaints of air show? 1. too long! Two passes of any airplane and I'm satisfied. 2. The announcer volume was ear splitting. Having been twice, I think I'm done with AirVenture. It was fun. I have the approach via Fisk and a landing on 27 in my log.
    On to another, much smaller, gathering. Any suggestions? (can't get away from Calgary to do sun 'n fun much as I would like to)

FYI from the other forum Hangar Talk,As to the chalets: Rod Hightower, prior to his departure in October, had already stated publicly that the chalets in the 2012 location were a miss and would be rectified for 2013. That was a first-year effort and much was learned, good and bad. Your feedback is exactly what one hopes for to make the event better for everyone who attends. Jack Pelton, EAA’s chairman, has been very specific about keeping the flight line improvements to those that will benefit EAA members.As for site improvements, some of those in the planning stages right now include an additional permanent restroom facility south of Phillips 66 Plaza (West Ramp/AeroShell Square), a new perimeter road west of the vintage and ultralight areas that should lessen vehicle traffic on Wittman Road near the vintage area, improvements in the South 40 shower facility, and the start of a improvements in the North 40 entrance gate area that will untangle the current knot of people, vehicles, trams and airplanes in that area. There are some others that escape me at the moment, including some additional upgrades in Camp Scholler. As you can imagine, there are plenty of suggestions for grounds enhancements each year and we try to apply the finite amount of resources to those that will provide the greatest benefits.If you have any specific questions, we’re happy to answer them as best we can. Thanks again for the comment, and I hope I can find where your previous email dropped off into cyberspace. There might be some others there that we haven’t answered yet as well.Best regards,Dick Knapinski, EAA #494456Senior Communications AdvisorEAA—The Spirit of AviationPhone: 920.426.6523Fax: 920.426.6560www.eaa.org