Thread: Really Dumb FAA Move

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Really Dumb FAA Move

There is a new procedure that I have noticed here in Aspen, and at Denver Centennial. When a pilot of a small piston engined plane like me in my Bonanza calls for taxi to the runway, the ground controller asks, "Will you need a run up?"

This is really dumb, of course we need and should do a run up, just as we were taught when we learned to fly. Them asking this over and over, every time before taxi is not going to talk me out of what I learned and what I know is right and safe, But there should not be the pressure to rush and short cut the procedure or do the run up before taxi., and especially this advice should not come from an official FAA agency.

I am sure they, of course, would say they are only asking. But it is like if someone asked them every time they got in a car, "Do you really need to wear your seat belt" ? How about do your kids really need to wash their hands before eating or a waiter really need to wash their hands after using the restroom? Does the doctor really need to wear gloves and new ones for each patient? Do they really need to get their paycheck every month?

I have never, not once, heard them ask a pilot of a jet if they will need a run up.

I want to bring this to everyone's attention, especially since some new or student pilot may be tempted to skip or shortcut the run up on the idea that the tower controller must know best. They know best about their own procedures ,but when it comes to flying a plane most controllers are not even pilots.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.