Hi,

Last October, an experimental plane that had a new owner crashed at a private airport. The pilot was banged up but no hospitalization. The airframe absorbed the impact but was destroyed.

According to the news report, the wreckage was removed the next week. It was a conventional gear, experimental and got into a landing oscillation that ended when the plane impacted trees 300 ft beyond the end of the runway.

I had expected to read an NTSB report but nothing showed up and this is nearly three months later. So I'm wondering, will there ever be a report beyond the local paper article?

Is there another aviation accident reporting system that might cover this crash?

I knew this particular plane has history with conventional gear landings. It really has to be 'greased' in or it can quickly get into a bad place. Because of this accident, I decided to replace the conventional gear with the tri-gear version even though it adds some weight. But this change also solves a propeller clearance problem. Regardless, I knew about this ground handling risk because I had found and collected the NTSB reports for this model.

Now I am wondering if some landing accidents might never be part of the NTSB database. Are landing accidents 'optional' or is there some threshold?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson