Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things I've learned about piloting...

You guys kill me. Janet go feed the guineas.

Between building the Nieuport and writing articles for SimHQ and getting my tailwheel cert I haven't had time to do much of anything.

A few more for the thread:

"Clear prop" is not a suggestion.
    The difference between a one hundred dollar headset and a one hundred fifty dollar headset is...fifty dollars.
    The difference between four dollar foam ear covers and fourteen dollar gel ones for a headset is priceless.
    The more difficult the button on top of a ball cap is to remove is directly related to where it falls under the headset.
    If "You have the controls" is delivered as a question the reason that your turns aren't coordinated has been solved.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Jerry You Are Right! Here's my 2 cents.

Never take-off if you have this uneasy feeling in your stomach. Maybe it's just luggage left in the car but then again, did I miss something in flight planning or pre-flight????! This happens more frequently for those of us at a certain age.

Hanger flying is way safer and cheaper then actual flying but not as much fun!

Joe

It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here!

RULE 1, from my dad, a WWII US Naval Aviator: "There is NO emergency that's as bad on the ground as it was at twenty-five thousand. LAND FIRST, then make sure all the switches are in the right positions."

and it still works. buddy's engine quit (prop stopped kaCHunk) last Tuesday at 900'AGL on downwind leg. he started trying to figure out what happened and how to restart it. i offered to fly the airplane for him while he got out the checklist. after we coasted off the runway onto the parallel taxiway he found it. still couldn't restart. oh well. glad my first instructor taught me RULE 2, "don't fly wide & long patterns".

One of my favorites: "There are three things in aviation that are worthless to a pilot; air in the tanks, altitude above, and runway behind."

And for anyone who flies gliders: While on tow off a dirt runway you are flying IFR which in a glider means I Follow Rope. (that was one the president of the soaring club that I'm a member of said.)

There is no such thing as a 100 dollar hamburger; it has been replaced with the 200 dollar Snicker's bar from a vending machine.

I added to my lexicon today - "Panel frown means put it down." Champ's oil pressure was below the green at idle; it was okay low at the start of the hour of touch and goes (but definately in the green) and frowny low an hour later. Cut my solo flight short, dang it!

The quality of the coffee in the FBO is directly proportional to the conversation from the guys at the table.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    There is no such thing as a 100 dollar hamburger; it has been replaced with the 200 dollar Snicker's bar from a vending machine.

I added to my lexicon today - "Panel frown means put it down." Champ's oil pressure was below the green at idle; it was okay low at the start of the hour of touch and goes (but definately in the green) and frowny low an hour later. Cut my solo flight short, dang it!

The quality of the coffee in the FBO is directly proportional to the conversation from the guys at the table.
    Bummer! Low oil pressure is something that can't usually be fixed by tightening a bolt.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Here's one I try to keep in mind:

`The most dangerous situation is the one you don't realise you're in.'

rgmwa