Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Stalls in turbulence

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jeff View Post
    Yes and all my examples were related to a windshear event, although I said abrupt/sudden change instead of using the term "wind shear". So, all what I ask is windshear, not gradually change. Well, why is there a change in airspeed when it shifts in direction and there is no airspeed change when it shifts in speed? This is what you seem to say and it makes no sense for me. Maybe I'm too dumb, please explain me why is so to clarify it.
    15 kts of headwind shearing to 15 kts of tailwind does not arthmetically add up to 30 kts because the 15 kt headwind vector is not part of the original airspeed measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    15 kts of headwind shearing to 15 kts of tailwind does not arthmetically add up to 30 kts because the 15 kt headwind vector is not part of the original airspeed measurement.
    No there's still a 30 knot difference there.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    but YOU are still flying within that mass, then entire mass of which has changed, *not* just the air hitting your wings/prop/fuse/etc.

Carl, one of my friends used to fly surveillance in a C-182. On a particularly windy day, he landed and said:
    "Everytime I turned downwind the cowl flaps blew open"

.....it almost sounded believable.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    If so, how is the difference between 0 kts and 15 kts tailwind, part of the original airspeed measurement?

FWIW, I'm beginning to think we're all being played, which may explain the unwillingness to accept the good advice that has been given by so many, as well as the lack of basic aerodynamic knowledge of the OP. There is no Steve Jeff in the FAA's pilot data base. There is only one person with the last name of Jeff, and he's a commercial pilot of very long standing, some 55 years. Reversing the name, there is no Jeff Steve in the FAA's data base. There are 3 persons with the last name of Steve in the data base who have addresses showing, only one is a fairly recently certificated pilot, and his name would not easily include Jeff in it. Of the remaining 7, one has no certificate, one is a mechanic, one was certificated some 30 years ago, one was certificated 59 years ago, one is a commercial helicopter pilot of more than 20 years, one is a commercial pilot certificated 24 years ago, one is a private pilot certificated almost 2 years ago.

Now granted, many people create handles for posting on forums, so this tiny bit of research doesn't prove anything, but it may explain things a little.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Ha ha, really funny offtopic Cary, for you FAA is the whole world? What about JAA? You heard of it? Anyway, no further offtopic, if you can help on the topic issue, please do it, thanks.

Thinking about all these vectors, these math problems, numbers...sheesh. Y'all are taking the fun out of flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    FWIW, I'm beginning to think we're all being played, which may explain the unwillingness to accept the good advice that has been given by so many, as well as the lack of basic aerodynamic knowledge of the OP. There is no Steve Jeff in the FAA's pilot data base. There is only one person with the last name of Jeff, and he's a commercial pilot of very long standing, some 55 years. Reversing the name, there is no Jeff Steve in the FAA's data base. There are 3 persons with the last name of Steve in the data base who have addresses showing, only one is a fairly recently certificated pilot, and his name would not easily include Jeff in it. Of the remaining 7, one has no certificate, one is a mechanic, one was certificated some 30 years ago, one was certificated 59 years ago, one is a commercial helicopter pilot of more than 20 years, one is a commercial pilot certificated 24 years ago, one is a private pilot certificated almost 2 years ago.

Now granted, many people create handles for posting on forums, so this tiny bit of research doesn't prove anything, but it may explain things a little.

Cary
    i agree it is prob best to end this.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

The same individual posted the same question on VAF. Here is his public profile:

Biography:LSA, PPL, working on CPLLocation (City, State):BulgariaInterests:Aviation, ITOccupationProgrammer

33 posts in the VAF thread, probably enough to give ol' Steve plenty to think about.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 01-29-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

... And on the Super Cub forums as well.